What causes Nitroglycerin to detonate while thawing?

• Thread starter workinprogres
  • Start date
In summary, nitroglycerin is a highly explosive chemical compound that works by rapidly releasing energy when it undergoes a chemical reaction. It needs to be thawed before detonation to become more stable and easier to handle. However, it can detonate spontaneously if thawed too quickly or at a high temperature. Proper precautions, such as wearing protective gear and thawing slowly in a well-ventilated area, should be taken to safely thaw nitroglycerin.
workinprogres
While reading about Nitroglycerin a number of time I've read that it used to be frozen for transport but upon thawing it would detonate. What causes this to happen? It it expansion of the liquid as it heats up creating pressure? I have absolutely no intention or would ever consider making/buying/freezing nitroglycerin, I'm just curious.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If it cracks while thawing, the shock sensitive material can detonate. Take an ice cube out of the freezer and hold it in your hand. Did it crack?

boom!

Wow I'm retarded *facepalm* Thanks you!

Related to What causes Nitroglycerin to detonate while thawing?

1. What is Nitroglycerin and how does it work?

Nitroglycerin is a chemical compound that is commonly used as an explosive. It works by rapidly releasing large amounts of energy when it undergoes a chemical reaction, causing a powerful explosion.

2. Why does Nitroglycerin need to be thawed before detonation?

Nitroglycerin is typically stored in a frozen state to prevent accidental detonation. Thawing it allows it to become more stable and easier to handle before detonation.

3. What causes Nitroglycerin to detonate while thawing?

Nitroglycerin is highly sensitive to temperature changes. When it is thawed too quickly or at a high temperature, it can become unstable and detonate spontaneously.

4. Can Nitroglycerin be safely thawed?

Yes, Nitroglycerin can be safely thawed if proper precautions are taken. It should be thawed slowly and at a controlled temperature to prevent accidental detonation.

5. What safety measures should be taken when thawing Nitroglycerin?

When thawing Nitroglycerin, it is important to wear proper protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. It should be thawed in a well-ventilated area away from any sources of heat or open flames. It is also important to follow proper handling and storage guidelines to prevent accidents.