What causes differences in polarity between alcohol and ketone molecules?

In summary, hydrogen bonding plays a crucial role in determining the polarity of molecules, and it is the reason why certain molecules are more polar than others despite having similar dipole moments.
silversurf
What is the relationship between polarity and hydrogen bonding? I have come across several problems saying that an alcohol is more polar than a ketone because of hydrogen bonding but I don't see the relationship between these two. Intuitively, I thought ketone would be more polar because it has a larger dipole but the explanation says that alcohol is more polar due to hydrogen bonding. In order to determine polarity I have been thinking about it in terms of electronegativity difference and dipole moment. But when we compare compounds like an ester vs a carboxylic acid structure, I haven't been able to tell which is more polar. The explanation only say that due to hydrogen bonding it's more polar but this seems like it came out of nowhere. Does anyone know what the relationship is?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The relationship between polarity and hydrogen bonding is that hydrogen bonding increases the polarity of molecules. This is because hydrogen bonds are stronger than other dipole-dipole interactions, and thus the molecules involved in hydrogen bonding become more polar. For example, alcohols are more polar than ketones because they can form hydrogen bonds, while ketones cannot. Hydrogen bonding also explains why esters and carboxylic acids are more polar than their corresponding alkanes, as carboxylic acids and esters can form hydrogen bonds, while alkanes cannot.

Related to What causes differences in polarity between alcohol and ketone molecules?

What is polarity?

Polarity refers to the distribution of electrical charge in a molecule. It occurs when there is an unequal sharing of electrons between atoms, resulting in a slightly positive and slightly negative end of the molecule.

How does polarity affect hydrogen bonding?

Hydrogen bonding occurs between a hydrogen atom bonded to an electronegative atom (such as oxygen or nitrogen) and another electronegative atom in a different molecule. Polarity is necessary for hydrogen bonding to occur, as the positive end of one molecule is attracted to the negative end of another molecule.

What is the difference between polar and nonpolar molecules?

Polar molecules have an unequal distribution of electrical charge, resulting in a slightly positive and slightly negative end. Nonpolar molecules have an equal distribution of charge and do not have a positive or negative end. Polar molecules are capable of hydrogen bonding, while nonpolar molecules are not.

Why is hydrogen bonding important in biological systems?

Hydrogen bonding is important in biological systems because it helps stabilize the structures of many molecules, such as proteins and DNA. It also allows for specific interactions between molecules, such as the binding of enzymes to substrates.

Can hydrogen bonding occur between any two molecules?

No, hydrogen bonding can only occur between molecules with hydrogen atoms bonded to electronegative atoms such as oxygen or nitrogen. Additionally, the two molecules must be close enough for the hydrogen bond to form, typically within a distance of 3 angstroms.