What causes confusion in testing time invariance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time invariance and how it is tested by shifting the input and plugging it into the output. The speaker becomes confused when the output is not equal to the expected result, indicating a potential failure in the test. The conversation ends with a question about the underlying math and potential sources for more information. Examples of time invariance are provided for further understanding.
Bullington
Gold Member
I understand what time invariance means but there are a few catches that I'm completely confused about: Suppose we have $$y(t)=x(\alpha t-\beta)$$ to test time invariance we shift the input then "plug" it into the output:$$x_1(t_1)=x(t-t_o)$$ so this is when I become confused; when we plug $$x_1(t_1)$$ into $$y(t)$$ we get: $$x(\alpha t-t_o-\beta)$$ instead of $$y(t)=x_1(\alpha t_1 - \beta)=x(\alpha (t-t_o) -\beta)$$ I believe there is some underling math I am unaware of; but, what is it? Any sources?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Related to What causes confusion in testing time invariance?

What is time invariance confusion?

Time invariance confusion is a phenomenon in which individuals have difficulty accurately perceiving and estimating the duration of events or activities. It can also refer to a discrepancy between an individual's internal sense of time and the actual time that has passed.

What are some common causes of time invariance confusion?

There are several potential causes of time invariance confusion, including psychological factors such as stress, anxiety, and attentional deficits. It can also be influenced by external factors such as the complexity or novelty of the event, as well as individual characteristics such as age and personality traits.

How can time invariance confusion be measured?

Time invariance confusion can be measured through a variety of methods, such as self-report questionnaires, behavioral tasks, and physiological measures. These measures can assess both subjective perception of time and objective accuracy of time estimation.

Can time invariance confusion be overcome?

While some level of time invariance confusion may be a natural part of human cognition, there are strategies that can help individuals overcome or reduce its effects. These include practicing mindfulness and relaxation techniques, improving attention and focus, and using external cues or reminders to help track time.

Are there any potential implications of time invariance confusion?

Time invariance confusion can have various implications, depending on the context in which it occurs. In some cases, it may lead to difficulties in meeting deadlines or completing tasks efficiently. It may also impact an individual's sense of time and their ability to accurately perceive and remember events.