What can you tell me about Confucius and his teachings?

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
In summary, Confucius was a Chinese philosopher and teacher who lived during the 6th century BC. He emphasized the importance of ethical and moral values, such as benevolence, righteousness, and propriety, in shaping a just and harmonious society. His teachings, known as Confucianism, also focused on the importance of education, self-improvement, and respect for authority. Confucius believed that individuals should strive to be virtuous and cultivate strong relationships with others through the practice of filial piety and the Five Constant Virtues. His teachings have had a lasting impact on Chinese culture and continue to influence moral and ethical principles around the world.
Mentat
What can you tell me about Confucius and his teachings? All I know is the kind of thing you can find in an encyclopedia (e.g. He was born in 550BCE, died 72 years later; considered himself more of a transmitter of the old teachings than a creator of new ones; wrote the analects; &c about his personal life), but I don't really know anything about confuciunism. Is there a good site I could visit?

Science news on Phys.org
You can probably get any decent book on Confucious out from the library or find an inexpensive paperback in any good bookstore. I recommend reading Mencius and Sun Tzu as well just to give you a more well-rounded view of the Ancient mind in China.

"Shall I tell you what knowledge is? It is to know both what one knows and what one does not know" - Confucious

Related to What can you tell me about Confucius and his teachings?

1. Who was Confucius?

Confucius, also known as Kong Qiu, was a Chinese philosopher and teacher who lived in the 5th century BCE. He is considered one of the most influential thinkers in Chinese history and his teachings have had a lasting impact on Chinese culture and society.

2. What are the key teachings of Confucius?

Confucius' teachings revolve around the concept of moral and ethical behavior, both in personal and societal relationships. He emphasized the importance of virtues such as benevolence, righteousness, propriety, wisdom, and faithfulness. He also stressed the importance of respecting one's elders and ancestors.

3. What is the significance of the Analects in Confucianism?

The Analects are a collection of Confucius' teachings and conversations with his disciples. They are considered the most important and authoritative source of Confucian thought and have been studied and revered for centuries. They cover a wide range of topics including morality, education, government, and relationships.

4. How did Confucianism influence Chinese society?

Confucianism had a profound impact on Chinese society, shaping its political, social, and cultural structures. It emphasized the importance of social harmony, respect for authority, and adherence to traditional values. Confucianism also greatly influenced the development of the Chinese education system.

5. How does Confucianism compare to other philosophies and religions?

Confucianism is often seen as a philosophy rather than a religion, as it does not focus on a deity or the afterlife. However, it does have religious elements and is often practiced alongside other religions such as Buddhism and Taoism in China. It differs from other philosophies in its emphasis on moral behavior and social harmony, rather than individual enlightenment or salvation.