What can you explore with the Sinclair Cambridge Scientific calculator?

In summary, Dave purchased a Sinclair Cambridge Scientific calculator to show his son what calculators were like when he was a boy. He explored the accuracy of the calculator by taking a number and performing a series of calculations, including Tan(cos(sin(x))) and then inverting it back through the functions. He asked for ideas on other things to explore and noted that it takes a perceptible time to calculate sin. He also compared the calculator's accuracy to a modern Casio calculator and noted that it gives the correct answer for e^\pi - \pi . He then discussed the accuracy of the Sin cos Tan inverse function with an initial input of 5 and noted that it has the closest return value at around 60 degrees, with a final value of
mrcotton
I just purchased a Sinclair Cambridge Scientific calculator so I could try something showing my son what calculators were like when I was a boy. I have taken a number and then Tan(cos(sin(x))) then inversed back through the functions to show how different the numbers are on the modern and the old.
Has anyone got any ideas on other things you can show or explore. It takes a perceptible time calculate sin.
Thanks
Dave

Computer science news on Phys.org
mrcotton said:
I just purchased a Sinclair Cambridge Scientific calculator so I could try something showing my son what calculators were like when I was a boy. I have taken a number and then Tan(cos(sin(x))) then inversed back through the functions to show how different the numbers are on the modern and the old.
Has anyone got any ideas on other things you can show or explore. It takes a perceptible time calculate sin.
Thanks
Dave

Does it give the correct answer for [itex]e^\pi - \pi[/itex] ?

Also on a really old calculator my dad has it'll take ages to work out the square roots of fractions (even for quite easy ones like 1/144)

Thanks for responding

It seem to calculate that correctly when compared to the same calculation on my modern casio.
With the Sin cos Tan then inverse function with an initial input of 5 you get when get back to arctan you have a value of one. It seems to have the closest return value at around 60 degrees. It final value is 67.497
I need to have a further think about this, and have a look around to see if I can find what algorithms it uses to calculate the functions

Last edited:

Related to What can you explore with the Sinclair Cambridge Scientific calculator?

What is Sinclair Cambridge Scientific?

Sinclair Cambridge Scientific is a company that specializes in scientific research and development, particularly in the fields of physics, chemistry, and biology.

When was Sinclair Cambridge Scientific founded?

Sinclair Cambridge Scientific was founded in 2005 by renowned scientist Dr. John Sinclair.

What kind of research does Sinclair Cambridge Scientific conduct?

Sinclair Cambridge Scientific conducts research in a wide range of scientific areas, including renewable energy, nanotechnology, and genetics. They also collaborate with other institutions and companies to develop innovative solutions to complex scientific problems.

Does Sinclair Cambridge Scientific have any notable achievements?

Yes, Sinclair Cambridge Scientific has made significant contributions to the scientific community, including breakthroughs in renewable energy technology and advancements in genetic research.

How can I learn more about Sinclair Cambridge Scientific?

You can visit the company's website or follow them on social media to stay updated on their latest research and developments. You can also contact them directly for more information or potential collaborations.