What can we say about Covariance?

• Thread starter Karnage1993
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Covariance
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between covariance and the expectation of the product of two random variables. It is mentioned that either of these expressions could be the definition of covariance and that if they are equal, at least one of the variables must have a mean of zero. The concept of covariance being equal to zero is also discussed in relation to the geometric concept of orthogonality.
Karnage1993
I'm working on a problem that wants me to show that $$Cov(X,Y) = 0$$ and I am up to the point where I simplified it down to $$Cov(X,Y) = E(XY)$$. In other words, $$E(X)E(Y) = 0$$ to make the above true. My question is, what can we conclude if we have that the covariance of two random variables (not independent) is equal to the expectation of the product of those two random variables?

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]Cov(X,Y) = \mathbb E(XY) - (\mathbb EX)(\mathbb EY) = \mathbb E[(X-\mathbb EX)(Y-\mathbb EY)][/itex]. Either of these two equivalent expressions could be the definition of covariance, depending who you ask.

Karnage1993 said:
My question is, what can we conclude if we have that the covariance of two random variables... is equal to the expectation of the product of those two random variables?

So really, all you can conclude is that at least one of [itex]X[/itex] or [itex]Y[/itex] is mean-zero. There's no information there whatsoever about how [itex]X,Y[/itex] are/aren't related.

~~~~~

What does it mean to say [itex]Cov(X,Y)=0[/itex], on an intuitive level?? (This condition is sometimes said as "[itex]X,Y[/itex] are orthogonal", which has a geometric meaning behind it.) It means that, on average variation in [itex]X[/itex] tells us nothing about variation in [itex]Y[/itex].

Related to What can we say about Covariance?

What is covariance?

Covariance is a measure of how two variables vary together. It indicates the direction of the relationship between the two variables, whether they tend to increase or decrease together, and by how much.

How is covariance calculated?

Covariance is calculated by taking the product of the differences between each pair of corresponding values of the two variables, and then dividing by the total number of observations. A positive covariance indicates a positive relationship, while a negative covariance indicates a negative relationship.

What does a high covariance value mean?

A high covariance value indicates a strong relationship between the two variables. This means that the two variables tend to vary together, and the direction of the relationship is either positive or negative. However, covariance alone does not tell us the strength or significance of the relationship.

How is covariance different from correlation?

Covariance and correlation are both measures of the relationship between two variables. However, correlation takes into account the scale of the variables and standardizes the values, making it easier to compare the strength of relationships between different pairs of variables. Covariance, on the other hand, does not take into account the scale of the variables and its value is affected by the units of measurement.

What are the limitations of using covariance?

One limitation of using covariance is that it does not tell us the strength or significance of the relationship between two variables. It also assumes a linear relationship between the variables, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it can be affected by the units of measurement used for the variables.