What books must we phycists read?

• Thread starter SpaceNerdz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation discusses various physics books that are essential for becoming a physicist. The books recommended include Feynman's Lectures, A.P. French's books, and Purcell's "Electricity and Magnetism." These books are praised for their clarity, pedagogical approach, and comprehensive explanations. However, it is noted that some editions of French's books may have poor printing and binding.
SpaceNerdz
I hated hated my Phyiscs textbook Fundamental Physics. I'm going to have to take charge of my own education now and just rely not that book. Does anyone here know of any book Physics Books/Text Books that are essential for for one to be Phycisist ? I mean, I found Feynman's Lectures -- books of that quality and clarity. Or any physics book that you think all physicist must read!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look at A. P. French's books from the MIT Introductory Physics Series.

Newtonian Mechanics
Vibrations and Waves
Special Relativity
and An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics

They are a bit old, but at least the first three are IMO masterpieces of physics education.

The first one, Newtonian Mechanics, is considered a bit too verbose by some, but I believe that to be one of its strengths: French leaves nothing unexplained and prevents many of the students questions and doubts.

If you seek clarity and a truly pedagogical approach, French won't let you down. I wish I had used the Newtonian Mechanics book as my first physics book. And the Vibrations and Waves book as my first intro to oscillatory phenomena. For Electromagnetism there is Purcell's "Electricity and Magnetism" from the Berkely Physics Course. It is now in its third edition.

Too bad Norton is publishing poorly printed and bound editions of French's books. (They are cheap, though)

Last edited:

Related to What books must we phycists read?

1. What are the essential books for physicists to read?

The essential books for physicists to read will vary depending on an individual's subfield and interests. However, some commonly recommended books include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "The Character of Physical Law" by Richard Feynman, "Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals" by Richard Feynman and Albert Hibbs, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths.

2. Are there any books that are considered classics in the field of physics?

Yes, there are several books that are considered classics in the field of physics. These include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Theory of Everything" by Stephen Hawking, "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by Thomas Kuhn, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

3. Can you recommend any books that explain complex physics concepts in an accessible way?

There are many popular science books available that explain complex physics concepts in an accessible way. Some recommendations include "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson, "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics" by Carlo Rovelli, "The Hidden Reality" by Brian Greene, and "Reality Is Not What It Seems" by Carlo Rovelli.

4. Are there any books that cover the history and development of physics?

Yes, there are several books that cover the history and development of physics. Some examples include "The Oxford Companion to the History of Modern Science" by John L. Heilbron, "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes, "Quantum: Einstein, Bohr, and the Great Debate about the Nature of Reality" by Manjit Kumar, and "Galileo's Daughter" by Dava Sobel.

5. Are there any books that discuss the philosophy of physics?

There are many books that discuss the philosophy of physics. Some recommended titles include "The Philosophy of Physics" by Tim Maudlin, "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene, "The Nature of Space and Time" by Stephen Hawking and Roger Penrose, and "Reality and Its Structure" by Mauricio Suarez.