What assumption leads to dB/dt=0 in the lumped element model?

In summary: In AC analysis, ignoring the non-sinusoidal startup transients results in a more general analysis, but it is more work.
Ahmad Kishki
First assumption: the change of magnetic flux in time outside a conductor is zero.

Last semester in circuit analysis we treated circuits with sinusoidal voltage variation as steady state circuits while using the phasor notation. But now that i know electrodynamics i begin to doubt my concepts that were built in circuit analysis. For sinusoidal variation of voltage the electric field through the conductor will also vary sinusoidally which means that there will be a changing magnetic field enclosed by the circuit. What assumption here is needed to lead to the assumption that the change in magnetic flux outside a conductor is zero? Is it that the surface area of the circuit is too small? But that is not satisfactory...

Second assumption: the change of charge in time inside conducting elements is zero.

This means that displacement current is zero, right?

Source: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumped_element_model

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Ahmad Kishki said:
But that is not satisfactory...
If the assumptions made in your application are “not satisfied” sufficiently then you should not be using a lumped element model.

No simple model can ever be an exact representation of the reality it attempts to model. Assumptions are made to simplify the model to the point where it can be solved numerically in a reasonable time. The “lumped element model” has worked sufficiently well in most situations over the last 100 years. Without those assumptions, the physical dimensions of the components and the path taken by the connecting wires would need to be specified in an EM model. That would be most inconvenient when not essential.

Baluncore said:
If the assumptions made in your application are “not satisfied” sufficiently then you should not be using a lumped element model.

No simple model can ever be an exact representation of the reality it attempts to model. Assumptions are made to simplify the model to the point where it can be solved numerically in a reasonable time. The “lumped element model” has worked sufficiently well in most situations over the last 100 years. Without those assumptions, the physical dimensions of the components and the path taken by the connecting wires would need to be specified in an EM model. That would be most inconvenient when not essential.

You misunderstood me.. I am asking for the basis of these two assumptions in field theory...

In my opinion, if you follow Kirchhoff laws for lumped circuit then Sum(Ii)=0 in a connection point that means [ in the connection point] i [result]= dq/dt =0.
The second law Sum(Vi)=0 in a loop that means no magnetic field change which could produce an EMF in the loop. dB/dt=0.

Babadag said:
In my opinion, if you follow Kirchhoff laws for lumped circuit then Sum(Ii)=0 in a connection point that means [ in the connection point] i [result]= dq/dt =0.
The second law Sum(Vi)=0 in a loop that means no magnetic field change which could produce an EMF in the loop. dB/dt=0.

Yes i get this, but what assumption is required to say that dB/dt=0? I mean, a time changing electric field will lead to a time changing magnetic field... So how can this assumption hold when the voltage is sinusoidal wrt time?

Likes Babadag
Ahmad Kishki said:
what assumption is required to say that dB/dt=0
The average dB/dt over one sinusoidal cycle will be zero.

Baluncore said:
The average dB/dt over one sinusoidal cycle will be zero.

Hmmm...

AC circuit analysis applies to integral numbers of whole cycles, average quantities, and ignoring non-sinusoidal startup transients.

You are perfectly free to skip AC analysis, and to analyze the circuits transiently using differential equations. That is more general and more universal, but a whole lot more work. Where the simplifications of AC analysis are justified, they save a lot of time and effort.

Ahmad Kishki said:
Yes i get this, but what assumption is required to say that dB/dt=0? I mean, a time changing electric field will lead to a time changing magnetic field... So how can this assumption hold when the voltage is sinusoidal wrt time?
You are right, Ahmad. But this is the simplification of the Kirchhoff laws. He neglected the magnetic flux outside the conductors. Actually, it is an EMF around the loop due to fact dB/dt>0.It is one of the self-imposed constraints by the Lumped Matter Discipline.

Likes Ahmad Kishki

Related to What assumption leads to dB/dt=0 in the lumped element model?

1. What is the lumped element model?

The lumped element model is a simplified representation of a complex system or device, where the system is divided into discrete components that can be described using basic circuit elements such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. It is commonly used in circuit analysis and design to predict the behavior of a system.

2. How does the lumped element model work?

The lumped element model works by breaking down a system into smaller, simpler components that can be easily analyzed using basic circuit theory. The components are connected together using idealized connections, such as wires or perfect conductors. This allows for the use of mathematical equations to describe the behavior of the system as a whole.

3. What are the limitations of the lumped element model?

The lumped element model has some limitations, as it assumes that the components are closely located and interact with each other instantaneously. This means it is not suitable for systems with distributed parameters or where the size of the components is significant compared to the wavelength of the signals they are carrying. It also does not take into account electromagnetic effects.

4. When is the lumped element model used?

The lumped element model is commonly used in electronic circuit design, as it provides a simple and efficient way to analyze and predict the behavior of a system. It is also used in other fields such as mechanical and thermal systems, where the components can be described using analogous elements such as springs, masses, and thermal resistors.

5. How accurate is the lumped element model?

The accuracy of the lumped element model depends on the complexity of the system and the accuracy of the assumptions made. In general, it provides a good approximation for systems that can be described using basic circuit elements. However, for more complex systems, the accuracy may be limited and other models such as distributed element models may be more suitable.