What Are Winglets and How Do They Improve Aircraft Performance?

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool
In summary, this website has information on winglets and their various uses. There is also information on a BBC program about winglets and aircraft dynamics.
Cyrus
Physics news on Phys.org

I don't have time to read it right now either, but that's a cool link. Thanks, Cyrus.

I have read it before, and most the site too, plus i own the book.

There is similar information in the airbus 319/20/21 documentation too, but there winglets are a little different, and i have never read which one works better if any?

There are some great testing videos from boeing on the research, they fitted winglets to B727 and B707and flew it through some sort of smoke rig.

I am sure i have seen some other footage too of normal wings going through the same rig, and that was a Mil Boeing, KC-135 i think.

When i was young i noticed a B727 with winglets and thought it was some sort of coolness statement, years later i realized what they was really there for.

Here is another link that i have read too, more reading...

http://www.aviationpartnersboeing.com/news/pdf/news/AT69winglets.pdf

http://www.enviro.aero/blog/2008/09/the-wind-beneath-our-winglets.html

Last edited by a moderator:

herpamad said:
When i was young i noticed a B727 with winglets and thought it was some sort of coolness statement, years later i realized what they was really there for.
Stopping mechanics falling off the ends of the wings :wink:

=) i guess they have multiple uses... Styling for your aircraft that saves fuel, and stops mechanics falling off the ends...

I think its amazing how these little things can do so much.

There was an hour episode on BBC2 a month or so back about winglets, aerofoils and aircraft dynamics, something to do with open uni and richard hammond, was pretty interesting...

mgb_phys said:
Stopping mechanics falling off the ends of the wings :wink:

:smile:

Thanks for the site. Great read =]

Related to What Are Winglets and How Do They Improve Aircraft Performance?

1. What are winglets and what do they do?

Winglets are small, upturned structures on the tips of aircraft wings. They help to reduce drag and improve fuel efficiency by reducing the wingtip vortices that are created by the difference in air pressure between the upper and lower surfaces of the wing.

2. How do winglets affect an aircraft's performance?

By reducing drag, winglets help to increase an aircraft's range, improve climb performance, and reduce fuel consumption. They also improve stability and control during flight, especially during turns.

3. Are winglets a recent innovation in aviation?

While winglets have become more common in recent years, the concept has been around since the early 1900s. However, it wasn't until the 1970s that they became more widely adopted in the aviation industry.

4. Do all aircraft have winglets?

No, not all aircraft have winglets. They are more commonly seen on larger commercial aircraft, but some smaller aircraft may also have them. The decision to install winglets on an aircraft depends on the type of operation, route, and expected fuel savings.

5. Can winglets be retrofitted onto existing aircraft?

Yes, winglets can be retrofitted onto existing aircraft. This process involves adding the winglet structure and making necessary modifications to the wing. However, not all aircraft are suitable for retrofitting and it can be a costly process.