What Are These Fast, Mysterious Pests in My Food Cupboard?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary: They can be quite a bit smaller too, so if the shape and speed fits, that's probably what you have. I hate those things. It's the speediness that makes them seem so creepy to me. If they just sat still, they're not so bad looking, but when they dash off, you have to smash...
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have this bug/s living in my food cupboard, what it is living off is a mystery as all the food in there is in tins, bottles or packets, apart from that the blasted thing/s are so fast i can not swot it/them, and it/they disappear if i empty the cupboard.
This thing/s is about 3/16 inch long and quite thin, any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
My extensive movie knowledge tells me that when a loved one comes up to you and opens their mouth, a swarm of them will come out. So make sure nobody opens their mouth around you until you get this under control.

WarPhalange said:
My extensive movie knowledge tells me that when a loved one comes up to you and opens their mouth, a swarm of them will come out. So make sure nobody opens their mouth around you until you get this under control.

Great work. Now this thread needs a parental advisory sign for people exchanging bodily fluids with each others.

Have threads been mixed up :confused:. movies, bodily fluids, or is it i did not explain that this is a non imaginary insect type thing.

could it be a flour beetle?

I've heard flour beetle eggs often get sold with pack of flour and are completely safe for consumption but if the flour gets exposed to the right amount of moisture and heat, they will hatch!

wolram said:
Have threads been mixed up :confused:. movies, bodily fluids, or is it i did not explain that this is a non imaginary insect type thing.

Could you provide more data on this insect? Is it sensitive to light, what colour of is it, does it have tentacles etc? I think it would be best if you posted a picture of the beast. It is then easier to make the risk assessment.

misgfool said:
Could you provide more data on this insect? Is it sensitive to light, what colour of is it, does it have tentacles etc? I think it would be best if you posted a picture of the beast. It is then easier to make the risk assessment.

Well i only see it for a split second, and i have seen flour Beatles or bugs in flour, they are much smaller than the thing/s in the cupboard, this thing is rod like, i do get the impression of appendages (feelers), but to say it has them is a stretch.

Last edited:
Saw this on Animal Planet. When you take everything into context, the Tiger beetle is the fastest animal in the world. It moves so fast that its brain can't process what it sees fast enough because it is moving so fast. It moves in zig zagging patterns because it doesn't know where it is. It has to stop every once in a while to stop and see where it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_beetle

They seem a tad small to be silverfish, but maybe. They are a very ancient order of insect.

lisab said:
Hmmm...not much to go on. My first thought is a http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/silverfish.htm". They're small and really fast.

I looked at silverfish, they fit but seem large up to 1/2 inch, maybe they are baby one's?

Last edited by a moderator:
Vanadium 50 said:
They seem a tad small to be silverfish, but maybe. They are a very ancient order of insect.

This is an old house.

One of those Devonian houses? I try not to stay in anything built before the Permian.

Vanadium 50 said:
One of those Devonian houses? I try not to stay in anything built before the Permian.

I live in Warwickshire not Devon.

gravenewworld said:
Saw this on Animal Planet. When you take everything into context, the Tiger beetle is the fastest animal in the world.
Not true; I can outrun one. :-p

Greatest top-speed to 'body length' ratio is not the same thing as fastest.

Hurkyl said:
Not true; I can outrun one. :-p

Greatest top-speed to 'body length' ratio is not the same thing as fastest.

Semantics. If the tiger beetle were human sized, it would be able to run at over 300 mph.

If it were the size of a human, it would probably die trying to run 300 mph. Now that we have that out of the way...

Office_Shredder said:
If it were the size of a human, it would probably die trying to run 300 mph. Now that we have that out of the way...
Worse, it would probably be crushed under its own weight while standing still!

wolram said:
I looked at silverfish, they fit but seem large up to 1/2 inch, maybe they are baby one's?

They can be quite a bit smaller too, so if the shape and speed fits, that's probably what you have. I hate those things. It's the speediness that makes them seem so creepy to me. If they just sat still, they're not so bad looking, but when they dash off, you have to smash them quickly, and then there's that bit gray stain on the wall.

Hurkyl said:
Worse, it would probably be crushed under its own weight while standing still!

so I guess this kind of answers a mechanical engineering question I had. If you scale something up, the mass increases, increases gravity's force on it, but I've always imagined that as you make things bigger, the atoms have to stay the same size, so you're bound to change the structural integrity of it. By your comments here, I'm assuming that it makes the structure weaker. Is this always the case or does it depend on the types of bonds and materials involved?

Well, the main thing is that weight is generally proportional to volume, but structural strength is generally proportional to area.

if you want to slow them way down, try some boric acid. it's relatively non-toxic to humans unless eaten by the spoonful.

Hurkyl said:
Well, the main thing is that weight is generally proportional to volume, but structural strength is generally proportional to area.

what are the exceptions... or, is this the basis for a named theory so I could research it a bit? It's a repeat curiosity of mine. (i hope I don't have to do tensors :/)

They definitely sound like silverfish, we had them in our flat at university. I suppose they were 5-15mm long depending on their age and position in the silverfish social heirarchy.

I say bleach the little buggers.

brewnog said:
They definitely sound like silverfish, we had them in our flat at university. I suppose they were 5-15mm long depending on their age and position in the silverfish social heirarchy.

I say bleach the little buggers.

Aha, so size doe's matter, seems like you and MoonB have pined it down, so now they are either going to be blond or dead.

Related to What Are These Fast, Mysterious Pests in My Food Cupboard?

1. What could be causing the mysterious pest in my food cupboard?

The most common pests found in food cupboards are typically insects such as pantry moths, beetles, and weevils. These pests can enter the cupboard through small cracks and crevices or by being brought in on infested food products.

2. How can I identify the type of pest in my food cupboard?

If you are able to catch one of the pests, you can take a photo or bring it to a local pest control company for identification. You can also look for signs of the pest, such as webbing or droppings, to help determine the type of pest present.

3. What are the potential health risks associated with a pest infestation in my food cupboard?

Pests in food cupboards can contaminate food and spread bacteria and diseases. In some cases, people may have allergic reactions to certain pests. It is important to address the infestation promptly to avoid any potential health risks.

4. How can I get rid of the pests in my food cupboard?

The best way to get rid of pests in your food cupboard is to remove all infested food and thoroughly clean the cupboard with hot, soapy water. You can also use natural pest control methods such as diatomaceous earth or sticky traps. If the infestation is severe, it may be necessary to call a professional pest control company.

5. How can I prevent pests from infesting my food cupboard in the future?

To prevent pests from entering your food cupboard, it is important to regularly clean and organize the cupboard, as well as store food in airtight containers. Inspect food products before bringing them into the cupboard and seal any cracks or openings that pests could enter through. Regularly check for signs of pests to catch any infestations early on.