What are the unknown variables in the flowrate equation?

• Thread starter Scott Vidicik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flowrate
In summary, the conversation revolves around translating a flowrate equation into the metric system and finding the total cost of a pressure drop. The flowrate equation includes variables such as area, flow coefficient, pressure, and temperature. The equation is then modified to get the flowrate in SCFM, and the final equation includes variables such as gas density, time, and conversion factors. The second equation mentioned involves calculating the total cost of a pressure drop, but there are unknown variables such as 0.35 and 0.007. The conversation also mentions a rule-of-thumb for reducing compressor power consumption by reducing output pressure.
Scott Vidicik
Hello friends!

I got this flowrate equation I wish to translate, into metric system, but somehow I find it hard to do.

It is as follows:

M (lb/s) = A x C x P / √(R)

A: Area (inches)
C: Flow coefficient
P: Pressure (psi)
R: Temperature (Rankine)

So, to get this into SCFM I modify the equation with gas density of air
0.7494 lb/ft3 and 60s/min so I get

V (SCFM) = A x P x C x 60 / [√(R) x 0.7494]
this gives me SCFM. I could ofcourse just go from SCFM to m3/min, but that wouldn't be as awesome as having a formula where you could put in your data in metric.

Any help would be really really helpful.
Feel free to ask if there's anything unclear. Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
I find it hard to believe that neither the American nor European members can help me out here :)

Bumping it for the last time.

If no one are able to help me, do you have any suggestions for where I could find some?

Thanks in advance! :)

I found the answer. Feel free to ask if interested.

Now I got another probem!

I found this equation, but I don't understand it.

P/0.1 x Flow x Hours x 0.35 x 0.007 x cost.

P is in bar, so by dividing by 0.1 we get MPa.
Flow is in L/sec
Hours means operating hours for a compressor.
0.35 is some unknown variable, so is 0.007.
Cost is cost per kwh.

So I get

MPa x L/sec x Hours x 0.35 x 0.007 x € = total cost of a pressure drop.

What the heck is 0.35 and 0.007 values for? I haven't given any other input than what I've said.

Thanks a lot in advance!

EDIT:
There also seems to be a rule-of-thumb which claims that for every 1 psig reduction in compressor output pressure, compressor power consumption will be reduced by approximately 0.5%. How did they find this number?

Last edited:

The unknown variables in the flowrate equation are the area (A), flow coefficient (C), pressure (P), and temperature (R). These variables must be known in order to accurately calculate the flowrate (M). Additionally, the gas density of air (0.7494 lb/ft3) and the conversion factor for minutes to seconds (60s/min) are also necessary for the equation to be applicable to SCFM. It is important to correctly identify and measure these variables in order to obtain accurate results from the equation.

Related to What are the unknown variables in the flowrate equation?

1. What is the flowrate equation?

The flowrate equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the volume of a fluid that passes through a given point in a specific amount of time. It is typically represented as Q=AV, where Q is the flowrate, A is the cross-sectional area, and V is the average velocity of the fluid.

2. Why is it important to rewrite the flowrate equation?

Rewriting the flowrate equation can help make it more specific to a particular system or situation. It can also be useful for simplifying the equation or making it easier to solve for a specific variable.

3. What are some common variations of the flowrate equation?

Some common variations of the flowrate equation include Q=V/t, where V is the volume of fluid and t is the time, and Q=ρAV, where ρ is the density of the fluid. These variations are often used in different contexts or for specific types of fluids.

4. How can I use the flowrate equation in my research or experiments?

The flowrate equation can be used in a variety of scientific fields, such as fluid dynamics, chemical engineering, and environmental science. It can help determine the rate of fluid flow in a system, which can be important in understanding processes and making predictions.

5. Are there any limitations to the flowrate equation?

Like any mathematical equation, the flowrate equation has some limitations. It assumes that the fluid is incompressible, and it does not account for factors such as turbulence or friction. It is also important to note that the equation may not be accurate for all types of fluids and situations, and other factors may need to be considered for a more precise calculation.