What Are the Units of Constants c and Fo in the Equation Fv = Fo * sin(cx)?

In summary: But this is not the correct equation. The area under is A(x) = {Fo * cos(x)} - {m*c* cos(x)} = {0.5*0.5*0.5} = 0. This is because the change in kinetic energy is a quantity that is invariant under displacement x.
theneedtoknow

Homework Statement

A particle experiences a variable force Fv = Fo * sin (cx) where x is displacement in meters. What units are the constants c and Fo in.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Um ok...how the heck do i figure out what units they're in
so i know my final units need to be kg*m/s^2 , and i already got my meters from the displacement x inside the sin function
but the rest i can't figure out...
my best guess is...one cycle of the sin function is 2pi radians...so delta x * c = 2pi rads
delta x is just velocity so m/s*c = rad... does that make c in rad * s / m? cause that's not aunit I've heard of...
if i do use that though, then Fo is just in the regular force units kg*m/s^2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that anything going into a (non inverted) trig function has to have units of degree's or radians. That is you can't have the unit meter inside that sin(). How would you get rid of the unit meter.

Also F0 must have units of Kgms^-2, since it is a force. What does that tell you about the units inside the sin function?

i guess the units of c are then 1/m to get rid of the meters inside the sin function ... so c would i guess be the frequency of the oscillation of the force per every meter traveled by the particle?

Exactly right! :smile:

Thank you very much! :) So I am workin on the rest of the question now...
it says "at what position x does the force first reach its maximum value...your answer will be in terms of the constants Fo, c, and possibly some other numerical constants"...I don't get this part because it reaches its max value when x = Pi / 2c if I am not mistaken...which doesn't use Fo anywhere...

next, i got to do "what is the particles velocity as it reaches the first peak of force in terms of Fo, Vo, m, and c

the only thing i can think to do is consider the initial kinetic energy 0.5mvi^2...the velocity will be higher at the peak force, so kinetic energy will be higher too, and the change of kinetic energy is equal to the work done...and work done is area under force graph...so am i supposed to integrate sin(cx) from x = 0 to x = PI / 2c and it'll give me the additional work?
so 0.5mvi^2 = 0.5 mvf^2 - Fo * cos (cx) / c from x=0 to x= pi/2c?

This must be a vibrating/oscillating system, since for half a period the mass is being pushed to the right (say) and for the other half it's being pushed to the left. Since our force graph is sinusoidal the velocity graph must be cosine, so when the force is maximum I would have said the velocity is zero.

I'm really sorry but my mechanics is a bit rusty/rubbish. Maybe one of the other people here can help?

theneedtoknow said:
Thank you very much! :) So I am workin on the rest of the question now...
it says "at what position x does the force first reach its maximum value...your answer will be in terms of the constants Fo, c, and possibly some other numerical constants"...I don't get this part because it reaches its max value when x = Pi / 2c if I am not mistaken...which doesn't use Fo anywhere...

Your answer is correct. The question doesn't say that all the constants should be present in your answer :wink:

You can also check your answer this way: You know that the position x where the force reaches its maximum should have units of distance, i.e. m. If your final expression involves Fo, then you have mass(kg) and time(s) units in the expression, which cannot be gotten rid of using only other numerical constants. (Note: This is only for quick verification, you should always solve the problem!)

next, i got to do "what is the particles velocity as it reaches the first peak of force in terms of Fo, Vo, m, and c

the only thing i can think to do is consider the initial kinetic energy 0.5mvi^2...the velocity will be higher at the peak force, so kinetic energy will be higher too, and the change of kinetic energy is equal to the work done...and work done is area under force graph...so am i supposed to integrate sin(cx) from x = 0 to x = PI / 2c and it'll give me the additional work?
so 0.5mvi^2 = 0.5 mvf^2 - Fo * cos (cx) / c from x=0 to x= pi/2c?

Well done. You have the right approach, but there is a sign error in your final expression. The change in kinetic energy = {Final energy} - {Initial energy}, and you equate this to the area under the force graph.

N.

Related to What Are the Units of Constants c and Fo in the Equation Fv = Fo * sin(cx)?

1. What are units of variable force?

Units of variable force refer to the measurement of force that can change in magnitude and direction. This type of force is often seen in situations where the force applied to an object is not constant.

2. How are units of variable force measured?

Units of variable force are typically measured in Newtons (N) in the metric system or pounds (lb) in the imperial system. The direction of the force is also taken into account, so it is important to specify both the magnitude and direction of the force.

3. What are some examples of units of variable force?

Examples of units of variable force include tension, friction, and gravity. Tension is the force that pulls on an object in a stretched material, such as a rope or cable. Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface. Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the earth.

4. How do units of variable force affect motion?

Units of variable force can affect motion by changing the speed, direction, or both of an object. For example, friction can slow down the motion of an object, while a variable force like a rocket engine can change both the speed and direction of a spacecraft.

5. How can units of variable force be calculated?

To calculate units of variable force, you need to know the mass of the object and the acceleration it experiences. The formula for force is F = ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. It is important to note that this formula only applies to constant forces, so for variable forces, the calculation may be more complex.