What are the two equations for Centripetal Force

In summary, the conversation is about rearranging equations to find mass, radius, and velocity separately. The equation mentioned is Centripetal Force = mass x (velocity^2 / radius), and velocity can also be expressed as 2∏r/T. The person is having trouble isolating the variables and suggests a solution involving the diameter. They ask for help and for the equations to be posted.
Interception

Homework Statement

I have to rearange both equations to find mass, radius, and velocity (each of them seperately).

Homework Equations

I know that Centripetal Force= mass x (velocty^2/radius). In this case velocity is also equal to 2∏r/T (where T is the period), so I subsituted that in for v for the first equation and used it as the second. The experiment we did involved the period value, so I assumed that's what he wanted.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to isolate the mass the just fine, it's when I try to find radius and velocity that complicate it. When I solve it for the second for radius however, I have r on both sides of the equation. For velocity, I just get the quantity 2∏r/T on one side with the rest on the other. It just looks messy to me. I was thinking for the radius issue, I could get rid of the r on the other side of the equation by making it 1/2(diameter)? I'm lost here. I'd appreciate some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was able to isolate the mass the just fine, it's when I try to find radius and velocity that complicate it. When I solve it for the second for radius however, I have r on both sides of the equation. For velocity, I just get the quantity 2∏r/T on one side with the rest on the other. It just looks messy to me. I was thinking for the radius issue, I could get rid of the r on the other side of the equation by making it 1/2(diameter)? I'm lost here. I'd appreciate some help.
Can you post those equations? It is hard to spot specific problems based on that description.

You want get equations of the type ##v=...## and ##r=...## from ##F=m\frac{v^2}{r}##?

Related to What are the two equations for Centripetal Force

1. What is Centripetal Force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular motion, keeping an object moving in a curved path. It is also known as the "center seeking" force.

2. What is the first equation for Centripetal Force?

The first equation for Centripetal Force is F = m x v^2 / r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular motion.

3. What is the second equation for Centripetal Force?

The second equation for Centripetal Force is F = m x ω^2 x r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circular motion.

4. How do you calculate Centripetal Force?

Centripetal force can be calculated using either of the two equations: F = m x v^2 / r or F = m x ω^2 x r. These equations take into account the mass, velocity, angular velocity, and radius of the circular motion.

5. What is the relationship between Centripetal Force and Centripetal Acceleration?

Centripetal force and centripetal acceleration are directly proportional. This means that as centripetal force increases, so does centripetal acceleration, and vice versa. The relationship between the two can be expressed as F = m x a, where F is the centripetal force and a is the centripetal acceleration.