What are the Tensions in a System of Fixed Point Charges?

In summary, the tensions T1 and T2 are the same, but the 8q2k/d2 term is not included in the calculation.
scott85213
A fixed point charge of +2q is connected by strings to point charges of +q and +4q, as shown below. Find the tensions T1 and T2. (Use the following as necessary: q, d and k.)

21-41.gif

For T1, I summed all the forces on each charge and got
[URL]http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/images/orig/9/25122291919-orig.png[/URL]
And fairly similar for T2
I have a feeling I'm relatively close, I just need a push in the right direction. Do I need an "I Hat" for the final answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Scott85213,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
scott85213 said:
A fixed point charge of +2q is connected by strings to point charges of +q and +4q, as shown below. Find the tensions T1 and T2. (Use the following as necessary: q, d and k.)

21-41.gif

For T1, I summed all the forces on each charge and got
[URL]http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/images/orig/9/25122291919-orig.png[/URL]
And fairly similar for T2
I have a feeling I'm relatively close, I just need a push in the right direction.
Close, but not quite.

We can assume that the middle charged is fixed in place: "A fixed point charge of +2q is connected by..." Not that that really matters much, but it will make my following explanation more clear.

Since we are assuming that the middle charge is fixed in place, we can assume that one end of the T1 string is fixed in place. So the only thing that determines the tension of T1 is the force on the leftmost charge (the one with a +q charge). Forces on any of the other charges have no resulting effect on the tension T1.

So I understand where you got the 2q2k/d2 term. That is the force resulting from the middle charge (the one that has charge 2q).

I also understand where you got the 4q2k/(2d)2 term. That is the force resulting from the rightmost charge (the one that has charge 4q).

But I don't understand where the 8q2k/d2 term comes from. That term appears to be the force on the rightmost charge from the center charge. But that force (which happens to be equal and opposite between those two charges) has no bearing on T1.

Think of it another way. Let's assume that everything is in equilibrium. Now grab on to the 4q charge (with a rubber glove) and pull it to the right with all your might. Assuming the string does not stretch (assume it is very sturdy) and the charge is unchanged (rubber glove), how does your pulling affect T1? (Remember, the center charge is fixed in place).
Do I need an "I Hat" for the final answer?
I wouldn't. Tension is assumed to be along the direction of the string, wire, line, etc. already. And because tension inherently implies equal and opposite forces on each end of the string, a unit vector does't make much sense. Tension is sort of a scalar quantity. You only need to tack on a unit vector if you need to consider the force from one end of the string in isolation. But for this problem, my final answer would just be the magnitude.

Attachments

• 21-41.gif
    21-41.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 618
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, the fixed made it much easier. I guess I just read the question too quickly.

Related to What are the Tensions in a System of Fixed Point Charges?

1. What are fixed point charges tensions?

Fixed point charges tensions refer to the forces that exist between two stationary charged particles. These forces can either be attractive or repulsive depending on the charges of the particles.

2. How are fixed point charges tensions calculated?

Fixed point charges tensions are calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of fixed point charges tensions?

The strength of fixed point charges tensions is affected by the magnitude of the charges of the particles and the distance between them. The greater the charges and the closer the distance, the stronger the forces will be.

4. Can fixed point charges tensions be observed in everyday life?

Yes, fixed point charges tensions can be observed in everyday life. For example, when you rub a balloon against your hair, it becomes statically charged and can stick to walls or attract small objects due to the fixed point charges tensions between the balloon and the charged particles in the wall or objects.

5. How do fixed point charges tensions play a role in technology?

Fixed point charges tensions play a crucial role in technology, particularly in electronic devices. The forces between charged particles are responsible for creating electric fields, which are used in various applications like capacitors, transistors, and batteries.