What are the standard sizes for nozzle thickness in pressure vessel design?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for standard sizes of nozzle thickness and the background to this question. The person also asks for any pictures, drawings, or links to manufacturers' websites that can be provided. The specification mentions using 4" and 6" pipes for the nozzle, but no other details are given. Usually, a drawing accompanies this specification to provide necessary details for a cost estimate. Both pipe sizes are given as Schedule 80, and the wall thickness can be obtained from a standard pipe size chart. The conversation also mentions a question about shell design and provides an equation for determining the minimum required shell thickness, but no R_design is given. The person wonders if they should guess an R_design and what they should look at
minoroctave

Homework Statement

If I'm looking for standard sizes of nozzle thickness.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I be searching for the standard thickness of plates that are used to form the nozzle?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What kind of nozzle?

SteamKing said:
What kind of nozzle?

it says " 4”-600# flanged" pipe

(1) What is background to this question ?

(2) Any pictures, drawings or links to manufacturers website that you can post ?

Nidum said:
(1) What is background to this question ?

(2) Any pictures, drawings or links to manufacturers website that you can post ?

Attachments

• picture.png
    picture.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 444
The specification talks about using 4" pipe and 6" pipe for "nozzles", but provides no other details.

Usually, a drawing accompanies such a specification to provide the necessary details from which a cost estimate can be prepared.

Both pipe sizes are given as Schedule 80, the wall thickness of which can be obtained from a standard pipe size chart:

http://www.engineersedge.com/pipe_schedules.htm

Likes minoroctave
SteamKing said:
The specification talks about using 4" pipe and 6" pipe for "nozzles", but provides no other details.

Usually, a drawing accompanies such a specification to provide the necessary details from which a cost estimate can be prepared.

Both pipe sizes are given as Schedule 80, the wall thickness of which can be obtained from a standard pipe size chart:

http://www.engineersedge.com/pipe_schedules.htm
thanks, I also have a question about the shell design. I have an equation for the minimum required shell thickness
##\frac{P(R_{design}+corrosion)}{SE-0.6P}##

but I'm not given R_design. should I guess an R_design? what should I look at to check if the guess is a good estimate?

This is a pressure vessel so you will need to design shell , nozzles and other components to appropriate ASME codes .

Related to What are the standard sizes for nozzle thickness in pressure vessel design?

1. What is the standard thickness of a nozzle?

The standard thickness of a nozzle can vary depending on the specific type and size of the nozzle. However, on average, the standard thickness for a nozzle is typically between 0.5mm to 1.5mm.

2. How does the nozzle thickness affect the performance of a nozzle?

The thickness of a nozzle can affect the performance in several ways. A thicker nozzle can withstand higher pressure and flow rates, while a thinner nozzle may provide more precision and control. It also affects the amount and speed of the material that is being dispensed.

3. Can the standard nozzle thickness be customized?

Yes, the standard nozzle thickness can be customized to fit the specific needs of a project. Some manufacturers offer different nozzle thickness options for their products, or custom nozzles can be made to meet specific requirements.

4. Are there any industry standards for nozzle thickness?

There are no specific industry standards for nozzle thickness. However, certain industries may have their own guidelines or recommendations for the ideal thickness based on the materials being dispensed and the desired outcomes.

5. How can I determine the appropriate nozzle thickness for my application?

The best way to determine the appropriate nozzle thickness for your application is to consult with a nozzle expert or manufacturer. They can provide guidance based on the specific materials, pressures, and flow rates involved in your project.