What are the properties of electron gas in the Sun?

In summary, the conversation discussed the state of hydrogen atoms in the Sun as ionized, with separate gas states for the electrons. The main properties of this gas include temperature, partial pressure, and velocity distribution. The reaction between deuterium and hydrogen produces gamma radiation, with the majority of the energy coming from the gamma. The proton-proton chain occurs at a rate of 9.2x10^37 times per second in the Sun's core, taking into account the different reactions and their probabilities. In electron-positron annihilation, the incoming kinetic energy of the particles is negligible compared to the outgoing kinetic energy of the gamma radiation.
mersecske
Hydrogen atoms are in ionised state in the Sun?
So the electrons are in a separate gas state?
If, yes, than what is the main properties of that gas:
temperature, partial pressure, velocity distribution, etc.
Can somebody give me a good reference or answers?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
In the pp I branch 12.86 MeV is kinetic energy?

And in the reaction
D + H -> He + gamma + 5.49 MeV
5.49 MeV is mostly the energy of gamma?

and what does it mean
"The proton–proton chain occurs around 9.2×1037
times each second in the core of the Sun."
I don't understand, because the pp chain consists several reaction with different event rate, as I know.

In electron positron annihilation in the core of the Sun
the incoming kinetic energy of electrons and positrons are negligible to the outcoming kinetic energy 511keV/gamma?

mersecske said:
In the pp I branch 12.86 MeV is kinetic energy?

And in the reaction
D + H -> He + gamma + 5.49 MeV
5.49 MeV is mostly the energy of gamma?

I believe the 12.86 MeV is kinetic energy.
I am unsure of the 5.49 MeV. I'm sure that there is some recoil, but I could see most of that as the energy of the gamma.

mersecske said:
and what does it mean
"The proton–proton chain occurs around 9.2×1037
times each second in the core of the Sun."
I don't understand, because the pp chain consists several reaction with different event rate, as I know.

Looks like they mean that some type of P-P chain occurs at that rate. For each chain there is a certain % chance that it will occur, and multiplying all the percents against the overal events per second will give you the average amount of each chain that occurs per second.

mersecske said:
In electron positron annihilation in the core of the Sun
the incoming kinetic energy of electrons and positrons are negligible to the outcoming kinetic energy 511keV/gamma?

Yes. It is mostly the rest mass that is converted into the energies of the gamma's. But that is only if the kinetic energies of the particles is low. If they were moving at say 1 MeV each, that would be a different story.

Related to What are the properties of electron gas in the Sun?

What is an electron gas in the Sun?

An electron gas in the Sun refers to the highly energetic and ionized electrons that make up a large portion of the Sun's interior. These electrons are constantly moving and interacting with each other, creating a plasma state of matter.

How does the electron gas contribute to the Sun's energy production?

The electron gas plays a crucial role in the Sun's energy production through the process of nuclear fusion. In the Sun's core, high temperatures and pressures cause hydrogen atoms to fuse together, releasing energy in the form of radiation. The electron gas acts as a catalyst, helping to facilitate this fusion process.

What causes the electron gas to be highly energetic in the Sun?

The high temperatures and pressures in the Sun's core are responsible for the electron gas being highly energetic. These conditions are created by the immense gravitational force of the Sun, as well as the ongoing process of nuclear fusion. This causes the electrons to move at incredibly high speeds and collide with each other, creating a plasma state of matter.

How is the electron gas in the Sun different from the electron gas in Earth's atmosphere?

The electron gas in the Sun is drastically different from the electron gas in Earth's atmosphere. In the Sun, the electrons are highly energetic and ionized, whereas in Earth's atmosphere, the electrons are neutral and not as energetic. Additionally, the electron density is much higher in the Sun compared to Earth's atmosphere.

What impact does the electron gas have on the Sun's magnetic field?

The electron gas in the Sun is responsible for generating and shaping the Sun's magnetic field. As the electrons move and collide, they create electric currents which in turn produce magnetic fields. These magnetic fields play a crucial role in the Sun's activity, such as solar flares and coronal mass ejections.