What are the practical applications of differential geometry?

In summary, differential geometry is a field of mathematics that is used in a few specialized jobs, but is not really needed by most engineers.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

In what jobs is differential geometry applied and needed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm not sure I can fully answer your question. But here is a link to the applications page for differential geometry on the wiki. Then you could figure out which jobs apply the academic fields there mentioned.

I am not sure, but I would not be surprised if DG is not used anywhere outside of math and physics. Even something as basic calculus is not used by engineers on problems they work with. It is true that there are problems from engineering that need calculus to solve them, but engineers do not need to do it. It has either been solved by previous engineers, who written it down in a manual, or with today's technology it is stored or solved through a computer. I asked engineers who do real engineering work and they all told me they do not really require math. Therefore, if I have to guess I would say that DG is the same.

If you want to improve on three-dimensional modelling of physical systems (such as that used by the Havok physics engine in many popular current video games), differential geometry is going to be *very* useful. As with other applications, it's a niche market. This is the way of the modern world, very few skills have applications to all walks of life.

Of course, once created, such an application can often be used by the end-user with little or no training in the skills used to make it (by analogy, one does not need to be a machinist or automotive engineer in order to drive a car).

Many scientific and mathematical concepts are like this: only truly useful (in the sense of getting paid for knowing them) in small specialized settings. Of course, teaching others being the "obvious" application.

Related to What are the practical applications of differential geometry?

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces using the techniques of calculus. It involves the use of differential and integral calculus to understand the geometry of curves and surfaces in higher dimensions.

2. What are some real-world applications of differential geometry?

Differential geometry has many practical applications, including in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to study the motion of objects in space, the shapes of surfaces in architecture and design, and the behavior of light and sound waves.

3. How is differential geometry related to other branches of mathematics?

Differential geometry is closely related to other branches of mathematics, such as topology, algebraic geometry, and differential equations. It also has connections to physics, particularly in the areas of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

4. What are some important concepts in differential geometry?

Some key concepts in differential geometry include curves, surfaces, manifolds, tangent spaces, curvature, and connections. These concepts are used to describe and analyze the properties of geometric objects in higher dimensions.

5. What are some famous theorems in differential geometry?

One of the most well-known theorems in differential geometry is the Gauss-Bonnet theorem, which relates the curvature of a surface to its topology. Other important theorems include the Gauss-Codazzi equations, the fundamental theorem of curves, and the fundamental theorem of surfaces.