What are the physics behind parachute inflation?

In summary, the individual is seeking help with creating an improved pilot-chute design and is looking for resources on the physics of inflation. They mention a book called "Parachute Recovery Systems Design Manual" but it is difficult to acquire. They also mention finding information on work being done by TASFM at Rice University and suggest looking into a NOVA special on NASA's Mars mission for more information on parachute design and inflation.
ZegeunerLeben
>>I'm trying to create a design for an improved, non-hesitationg pilot-chute, but going back through all my old textbooks I cannot find anything about the physics of inflation (which I understand are complex and chaotic). The only reference materials I've been able to find is a book called "Parachute Recovery Systems Design Manual" by Knacke, but it's rare and will take months to acquire. Is anyone out there familiar with the physics of inflation, or can point me to some reference materials containing theories, formula's, spec's, experimental designs etc for parachutes? An odd request I know but any help would be welcome!

Engineering news on Phys.org
>>Just in case anyone's interested, I found some info on work being done by TASFM as Rice University on this subject. Apparently Fluid Dynamics governs inflation, which hadn't occurred to me.

TASFM

>>Here's one on a study of the old round parachute design:

http://www.mems.rice.edu/TAFSM/PROJ/FSI/axi_para.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a NOVA special on NASA's Mars mission. There was 20 minutes or so on the parachute design and problems with inflation. You may want to look into that.

Related to What are the physics behind parachute inflation?

What is the concept of inflation in physics?

Inflation in physics refers to the period of rapid expansion of the universe that occurred approximately 10^-36 seconds after the Big Bang. During this time, the universe expanded exponentially, increasing its size by a factor of at least 10^26. This concept was proposed to explain certain observations in cosmology, such as the uniformity of the universe and the flatness problem.

How does inflation explain the uniformity of the universe?

Inflation suggests that the universe underwent a rapid and exponential expansion, smoothing out any irregularities and creating a more uniform distribution of matter and energy. This is known as the "inflationary flatness problem" and is supported by observations such as the cosmic microwave background radiation being nearly uniform in all directions.

What is the evidence for inflation in the early universe?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the theory of inflation, including the uniformity of the universe, the flatness problem, and the existence of gravitational waves. Additionally, observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation show a specific pattern known as "B-mode polarization," which is predicted by inflationary models.

How does inflation relate to the Big Bang theory?

Inflation is a component of the Big Bang theory and is thought to have occurred before the universe underwent the process of expansion and cooling. It is considered a crucial step in the early stages of the Big Bang and helps to explain certain observations that cannot be explained by the Big Bang alone.

Can inflation be tested or proven?

While there is strong evidence supporting the concept of inflation, it is still a theoretical concept and has not been definitively proven. Scientists are currently working on ways to test and gather more evidence for inflation, such as studying the cosmic microwave background radiation and searching for gravitational waves. However, further research and observations are needed to fully validate the theory of inflation.