What are the Physical effects of the expansion of the Universe

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the expansion of the universe and how it affects different objects on different scales. It is explained that on smaller scales, such as the human body or the Earth, the effects of gravity and other forces are stronger than the expansion. However, on larger scales, such as the distance between galaxies, the expansion becomes noticeable. The conversation also mentions the possibility of the expansion eventually overcoming the forces holding objects together, leading to the "Big Rip" theory. However, this theory is still speculative and there is no evidence that the force of expansion will ever have an effect on gravitationally bound systems.
ashwinnarayan

Homework Statement

I trying to learn general relativity and ran into a few questions while learning about the expansion of the universe.

I found a really good intuitive explanation of the expansion of the universe here: http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=274

However, I am still left with a few questions, particularly about this paragraph from the article:

Finally, I should point out that not everything in the universe is "stretching" or "expanding" in the way that the spaces between faraway galaxies stretch. For example, you and I aren't expanding, the Earth isn't expanding, the sun isn't expanding, even the entire Milky Way galaxy isn't expanding. That's because on these relatively small scales, the effect of the universe's stretching is completely overwhelmed by other forces (i.e. the galaxy's gravity, the sun's gravity, the Earth's gravity, and the atomic forces which hold people's bodies together). It is only when we look across far enough distances in the universe that the effect of the universe's stretching becomes noticeable above the effects of local gravity and other forces which tend to hold things together. (That is why, in the analogy of the tape measure I discussed above, the tape measure that you keep in your pocket does not get stretched, while the one that goes between two galaxies does get stretched. I bet some people were wondering about that!)

What exactly does it mean that gravity and atomic forces are stronger than the expansion of the universe? Does this mean that the expansion exerts a small constant force on every particle that forces them away from each other? And if such a small force does indeed exist then shouldn't we be able to find objects on the universe which are at a distance where the force of the expansion of the universe exactly cancels out the force of gravity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Space news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what the exact distance would be. However, galaxies, galactic clusters, and super-clusters seem to hold together.

An analogy that I like is that the effect of "dark energy" on gravitationally bound systems is exactly the same as the effect of an ant pushing on a tank. It's not that the force exerted has a tiny effect, it's that it has no effect at all.

I think I understand. So there is a small force. That's the reason one of the possible theories for the end of the universe is that the expansion of space overcomes the force of gravity and electromagnetism cause atoms to rip apart.

I think they call it "The Big Rip". They're quite fond of repeating that on all those shows about the universe on The History Channel

The Force increases in the future because the expansion of the universe is accelerating.

ashwinnarayan said:
I think I understand. So there is a small force. That's the reason one of the possible theories for the end of the universe is that the expansion of space overcomes the force of gravity and electromagnetism cause atoms to rip apart.

I think they call it "The Big Rip". They're quite fond of repeating that on all those shows about the universe on The History Channel

The force does NOT increase as far as is known. Its EFFECTS increase, outside of gravitationally bound systems, because it has a cummulative effect, but inside gravitationally bound systems, there is no evidence that it will ever have any effect. The big rip is total speculation.

Related to What are the Physical effects of the expansion of the Universe

What is the expansion of the Universe?

The expansion of the Universe refers to the continuous increase of the distance between all galaxies and other celestial bodies. This phenomenon was first observed by Edwin Hubble in the 1920s and has since been confirmed by numerous studies and observations.

How does the expansion of the Universe affect space and time?

The expansion of the Universe affects both space and time. As the Universe expands, the distance between objects increases, causing space to expand. This expansion also affects the perception of time, as the rate of time is determined by the scale of the Universe.

What are the physical consequences of the expansion of the Universe?

The expansion of the Universe has several physical consequences, including the redshifting of light from distant galaxies, the cooling of the Universe, and the eventual separation of galaxies from one another.

How does the expansion of the Universe impact the motion of objects?

The expansion of the Universe does not affect the motion of objects within a local group, such as our own Milky Way galaxy. However, it does play a role in the motion of objects on a larger scale, as the expansion causes the overall separation of galaxies.

What are the potential future implications of the expansion of the Universe?

The expansion of the Universe is currently accelerating, and this acceleration is expected to continue in the future. This could eventually lead to the "heat death" of the Universe, where all energy is evenly distributed and no further work can be done, resulting in a cold, dark, and static Universe.