What are the phase factors for the atoms in this quantum state?

In summary, you found the following phase factors for a Stern-Gerlach measurement of atoms from a source: alpha = 1/\sqrt{3} and beta = \sqrt{2/3}.
phil ess

Homework Statement

Assume there is a source of some pre-selected atoms. When measuring atoms of that source in a Stern-Gerlach, you find the following probabilities for a spin-up result:

x-direction 5/6
y-direction 5/6
z-direction 1/3

Which state would you ascribe to the source?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the atoms be:

[tex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
\alpha \\
\beta \end{array} \right)\][/tex]

Decomposing in the z-basis we get that the probability amplitudes for up and down are [tex]|\alpha|^2[/tex] and [tex]|\beta|^2[/tex], respectively.

From this we find that [tex]\alpha = 1/\sqrt{3}[/tex] and [tex]\beta = \sqrt{2/3}[/tex]

Ok this is where I am confused, my textbook says we need to do a measurement in all 3 directions, but I got these values with just the z result?

If someone could explain this to me itd be a big help, I am stuck :(

Physics news on Phys.org
phil ess said:

Homework Statement

Assume there is a source of some pre-selected atoms. When measuring atoms of that source in a Stern-Gerlach, you find the following probabilities for a spin-up result:

x-direction 5/6
y-direction 5/6
z-direction 1/3

Which state would you ascribe to the source?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the atoms be:

[tex]\[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
\alpha \\
\beta \end{array} \right)\][/tex]

Decomposing in the z-basis we get that the probability amplitudes for up and down are [tex]|\alpha|^2[/tex] and [tex]|\beta|^2[/tex], respectively.

From this we find that [tex]\alpha = 1/\sqrt{3}[/tex] and [tex]\beta = \sqrt{2/3}[/tex]

Ok this is where I am confused, my textbook says we need to do a measurement in all 3 directions, but I got these values with just the z result?

If someone could explain this to me itd be a big help, I am stuck :(
Be careful, you have not actually found α and β. You have found |α| and |β|. There is a complex phase factor still to be accounted for.

Hmmm, ok well what I have here is, if |a|2 + |b|2 = 1, then |a|2 - |b|2 is a number between 1 and -1, so we write:

|a|2 - |b|2 = cos 2x, where x is between 0 and pi/2

then

|a|2 = 1/2 (|a|2 + |b|2) + 1/2 (|a|2 - |b|2)
|a|2 = 1/2 + 1/2 (cos 2x) = cos2x

and similarly

|b|2 = sin2x

so then

[tex]\alpha = e^i^\varphi cos x[/tex]
[tex]\beta = e^i^\phi sinx[/tex]

and then these are the phase factors you are talking about? I know they have magnitude 1, but I am not sure I know how to proceed from here :S

Related to What are the phase factors for the atoms in this quantum state?

1. What is quantum state tomography?

Quantum state tomography is a technique used in quantum physics to determine the state of a quantum system. It involves performing measurements on the system and using the data to reconstruct the quantum state.

2. How does quantum state tomography work?

Quantum state tomography works by making multiple measurements on a quantum system in different bases. The results of these measurements are used to calculate the probabilities of each possible state of the system. These probabilities are then used to reconstruct the quantum state.

3. What are the applications of quantum state tomography?

Quantum state tomography has many potential applications, including testing the validity of quantum theories, characterizing the performance of quantum devices, and verifying the security of quantum communication protocols.

4. What are the challenges of quantum state tomography?

One of the main challenges of quantum state tomography is the high computational cost involved in reconstructing a quantum state from a large number of measurements. Another challenge is the potential for errors in the measurement process, which can lead to inaccuracies in the reconstructed state.

5. How is quantum state tomography different from classical state tomography?

Quantum state tomography differs from classical state tomography in several ways. In classical state tomography, the states of a classical system are determined by measuring the values of its physical properties. In contrast, quantum state tomography involves making measurements on a quantum system in different bases to determine the probabilities of each possible state. Additionally, quantum state tomography takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, which do not apply to classical systems.