What are the Most Commonly Used Textbooks in Schools Today?

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation focused on the use of books in education and the differences between textbooks used in different generations. Some shared their personal experiences with textbooks and reading materials, including old editions and controversial titles. The conversation also touched on the evolution of textbooks and their impact on education.
courtrigrad
Hey all

Just thought that I'd start this thread to glean your opinions

Physics news on Phys.org
Weeeellllll, back in my day, we didn't have any of these newfangled book things, we had etched stone tablets. And you kids nowadays complain about carrying around heavy textbooks in your backpack, try carrying a stack of stone tablets to school, in snow as deep as you are tall, uphill both ways, without any shoes. If you ask me, the only good book ever made was that Sears Roebuck catalog with the nice soft pages. No good outhouse was without one of those Sears Roebuck catalogs. :biggrin:

Books used for what? I see students with a lot of the same textbooks I used, just I had the first or second edition and they're on the 7th or 10th edition now.

I will never forget when I was in third grade and reading our "health" book in school. There was a section where they discussed girls getting their hair "bobbed" and how to pin curl. :bugeye: The book was from the 1920's. :smile: It was really relevant.

Back in my day, we learned to read from McGuffy's Readers. This was a big improvement over Benjamin Harris's "The Protestant Tutor", which resulted in Harris being arrested, pilloried, and sentenced to two years in jail.

We learned to spell from Noah Webster's "An American Selection of Lessons in Reading and Speaking Calculated to Improve the Minds and Refine the Taste of Youth, and Also to Instruct Them in the Geography, History, and Politics of the United States, To Which Are Prefixed, Rules in Elocution, and Directions for Expressing the Principal Passions of the Mind, Being the Third Part of the Grammatical Institute of the English Language". We called it Noah Webster's Blueback Reader for short, since we couldn't spell half the words in the title.

We also used Samuel Worcester's "A Second Book for Reading and Spelling" and his "A Third Book for Reading and Spelling". We also used Worcester's "A Sequel to The Spelling Book", but the sequel wasn't nearly as good as the original, which was so popular it was always sold out before even one person could buy one.

We learned arithmetic from "The Schoolmaster's Assistant, Being a Compendium of Arithmetic, Both Practical and Theoretical". We couldn't spell that title, either, plus it was often confused with the other schoolmaster's assitant: the wooden yardstick used to whack our fingers with.

We also learned physiology from J.L. Comstock's "Outlines of Physiology", which was intended to be useful, "especially that of females, to the preservation of their forms and their health, by avoiding habits and fashions, which at once deform their persons and ruin their constitutions". This was later condensed and put to music in the song called, "When Irish Girls Grow Up".

hmm.. I do remember some of the English class readings..

8th grade: Beowulf
9th grade: The Metamorphosis
10th grade: Crime and Punishment
11th grade: Canterbury Tales

BobG said:
Back in my day, we learned to read from McGuffy's Readers. This was a big improvement over Benjamin Harris's "The Protestant Tutor", which resulted in Harris being arrested, pilloried, and sentenced to two years in jail.

We learned to spell from Noah Webster's "An American Selection of Lessons in Reading and Speaking Calculated to Improve the Minds and Refine the Taste of Youth, and Also to Instruct Them in the Geography, History, and Politics of the United States, To Which Are Prefixed, Rules in Elocution, and Directions for Expressing the Principal Passions of the Mind, Being the Third Part of the Grammatical Institute of the English Language". We called it Noah Webster's Blueback Reader for short, since we couldn't spell half the words in the title.

We also used Samuel Worcester's "A Second Book for Reading and Spelling" and his "A Third Book for Reading and Spelling". We also used Worcester's "A Sequel to The Spelling Book", but the sequel wasn't nearly as good as the original, which was so popular it was always sold out before even one person could buy one.

We learned arithmetic from "The Schoolmaster's Assistant, Being a Compendium of Arithmetic, Both Practical and Theoretical". We couldn't spell that title, either, plus it was often confused with the other schoolmaster's assitant: the wooden yardstick used to whack our fingers with.

We also learned physiology from J.L. Comstock's "Outlines of Physiology", which was intended to be useful, "especially that of females, to the preservation of their forms and their health, by avoiding habits and fashions, which at once deform their persons and ruin their constitutions". This was later condensed and put to music in the song called, "When Irish Girls Grow Up".
:smile: :smile: <wipes tears from her eyes> :smile: :smile:

Moonbear said:
Books used for what? I see students with a lot of the same textbooks I used, just I had the first or second edition and they're on the 7th or 10th edition now.

That I have noticed. My mom was brought up with an old edition of Perrine's Literature and I read the same thing, albiet a newer edition.

Related to What are the Most Commonly Used Textbooks in Schools Today?

1. What types of books were commonly used during your time as a scientist?

During my time as a scientist, the most commonly used books were textbooks, research papers, and lab manuals. These books contained information on various scientific theories, experiments, and procedures.

2. How were books used in your daily work as a scientist?

Books were an essential tool in my daily work as a scientist. They were used for research, reference, and to stay updated on the latest advancements and discoveries in my field of study.

3. Were there any specific books that were considered must-reads in your field during your time?

Yes, there were several books that were considered must-reads in my field during my time as a scientist. These included seminal works by influential scientists, textbooks on fundamental theories, and groundbreaking research papers.

4. How did the use of books in your field change over time?

The use of books in my field has evolved significantly over time. With the advancement of technology, digital resources have become more prevalent, and books are now available in electronic formats. This has made access to information quicker and more convenient for scientists.

5. How did the availability of books impact the progress of scientific research during your time?

The availability of books played a crucial role in the progress of scientific research during my time. Books provided a wealth of knowledge and information that was essential for conducting research, developing theories, and making new discoveries. Without access to books, scientific progress would have been significantly hindered.