What are the Laplace transforms of powers of y?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the unique Laplace transforms of powers of a function y(t). While there is a table on the Wikipedia page for Laplace transform that includes a property for the Laplace transform of ##f(t)^{n}##, there is no general formula for it. However, there may be a way to calculate it by considering the Laplace transform of the multiplication of functions. Laplace transform is useful for linear operations, but can be complicated for non-linear operations.
space-time
Let's say you have a function y(t). You know how derivatives of y have their own Laplace transforms? Well I was wondering if powers of y such as y^2 or y^3 have their own unique Laplace transforms as well. If so , how do you calculate them (because plugging them into the usual integral doesn't seem to work)?

Likes makemoneyu
Physics news on Phys.org
Ssnow said:
On https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_transform, there is a table with properties of Laplace transform, one refer to the Laplace transform of ##f(t)^{n}## ...

Are you sure? I don't see such a formula. Unless you are mistaking the one for ##f^{(n)}(t)## which is the n'th derivative. I have never seen a formula for ##\mathcal L f(t)^n## and I don't think there is a general one.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Are you sure?

Yes sorry I confuse the notation, I fact there isn't and explicit formula for this ...

On that same wikipedia page, there seems to be a way to do that if we consider the Laplace transform of the multiplication of functions; we just take the function [itex] f(t) [/itex] and multiply it [itex] n [/itex] times.

Laplace transform is an efficient tool when linear operations are involves (sum, derivative, integral).
But it is not so, and generaly very complicated, when non-linear operations are involved (multiplication, division, power). Even in the simplest cases convolution is requiered, which is generaly arduous.

Likes makemoneyu

Related to What are the Laplace transforms of powers of y?

What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics, particularly in the study of systems and signals.

What is the Laplace transform of y^n?

The Laplace transform of y^n, denoted as L{y^n}, is a function of complex frequency s that is defined as the integral of y^n multiplied by the exponential function e^-st. This operation is useful in solving differential equations involving functions of y^n.

How is the Laplace transform of y^n used in practical applications?

The Laplace transform of y^n is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations involving functions of y^n. It is also used in circuit analysis, control systems, and signal processing.

What are the properties of the Laplace transform of y^n?

The Laplace transform of y^n has several properties, including linearity, time shifting, frequency shifting, differentiation, integration, and convolution. These properties make it a powerful tool in solving complex problems involving functions of y^n.

What are the limitations of using the Laplace transform of y^n?

While the Laplace transform of y^n is a useful tool, it has some limitations. It can only be applied to functions that are of exponential order, meaning that they grow no faster than an exponential function as t approaches infinity. It also cannot be used to solve problems involving discontinuous functions or functions with infinite discontinuities.