What are the Kinematics of a Ball in Projectile Motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a handball being hit at ground level towards a wall 4.6 m away with a speed of 20 m/s at 40 degrees above the horizontal. The height at which the ball strikes the wall, its speed at impact, and its direction of movement at impact are calculated. The method involves finding the time it takes for the ball to hit the wall, using that to find the height at that time, and then calculating the horizontal and vertical velocities. It is important to avoid using computed answers with limited decimal places to minimize error. The ball is determined to be moving upwards at impact.
timnswede

Homework Statement

In a friendly game of handball, you hit the ball essentially at ground level and send it toward a wall 4.6 m away. The ball is hit with a speed of 20 m/s at 40 degrees above the horizontal.

a.) At what height does the ball strike the wall?

b.) Calculate the speed of the ball at impact.

c.) Is the ball moving upward or downward at impact?

2. The attempt at a solution

a.) I found the time it takes for the ball to hit the wall first: 4.6=20cos40t t=.3 s
Then I used that to find the height of the ball at that time. y=20sin40*(3)-4.9(.3^2) y=3.42m

b. I am not entirely sure how to do this one, but here is my attempt.
Horizontal velocity stays constant so that equals 20cos40 m/s.
Vertical velocity I calculated as Vy=20sin40-9.8(.3) Vy=9.9 m/s.
Then V=sqrt[((20cos40)^2)+(9.9^2)]= 18.2 m/s

c. For this I calculated what the maximum height of the ball would be.
0=(20sin40)^2 -9.8x
x=16.9 m which is higher than the 3.42 m I calculated earlier, so the ball is moving upwards.

Physics news on Phys.org
timnswede said:
[
Horizontal velocity stays constant so that equals 20cos40 m/s.
Vertical velocity I calculated as Vy=20sin40-9.8(.3) Vy=9.9 m/s.
Then V=sqrt[((20cos40)^2)+(9.9^2)]= 18.2 m/s
That's certainly the right method. Haven't checked the num bers in detail but they look reasonable.
One trap to avoid is using a computed answer at one step, to only 1 or 2 decimal places, as input to a calculation in a later step. You get accumulation of errors. Better to keep everything in symbolic algebra as long as possible. Sometimes you get cancellations in later parts of the question, helping to reduce numerical error.
c. For this I calculated what the maximum height of the ball would be.
0=(20sin40)^2 -9.8x
x=16.9 m which is higher than the 3.42 m I calculated earlier, so the ball is moving upwards.
A bit more obvious is just to look at the sign of Vy in your working above.

Related to What are the Kinematics of a Ball in Projectile Motion?

1. What is projectile motion in 2D?

Projectile motion in 2D is the motion of an object (such as a ball) that is launched into the air at an angle. It follows a curved path, known as a parabola, due to the combination of its horizontal and vertical velocities.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a ball in projectile motion?

The factors that affect the trajectory of a ball in projectile motion include the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the force of gravity. Any changes in these factors can alter the shape and distance of the ball's path.

3. How is the range of a projectile calculated?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It can be calculated using the formula R = V02 * sin (2θ) / g, where R is the range, V0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can the vertical and horizontal components of a projectile's motion be separated?

Yes, the vertical and horizontal components of a projectile's motion can be separated. This is known as resolving the motion into its components. The vertical component is affected by gravity, while the horizontal component remains constant.

5. How does air resistance affect the motion of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the range and height of a projectile by slowing down its motion. This is because air particles push against the projectile, reducing its velocity and altering its trajectory.