What are the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing(if any)?

In summary, the function is (X) / (X^2 - 1), with a derivative of (-X^2-1) / (X^2-1)^2. The function is decreasing on all intervals except for the asymptotes at X = +-1. The function is discontinuous at X = +-1, and is continuous on three intervals. The sign of the derivative is negative in all three intervals. The intervals are (-infinity, -1) U (-1, 1) U (1, infinity).
agv567

Homework Statement

function is (X) / (X^2 - 1)The derivative(as far as I know) is (-X^2-1) / (X^2-1)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set it equal to zero, and I get -X^2 -1 = 0, which means X^2 = -1

This does not exist, so what would I say for the intervals? When I graph it, the function is decreasing on all, but there are asymptotes for X = +-1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
agv567 said:

Homework Statement

function is (X) / (X^2 - )
It looks like there's a term missing here. What is the correct formula for the function?
agv567 said:
The derivative(as far as I know) is (-X^2-1) / (X^2-1)^2
Since I don't know what you started with, there's no way to tell if this is right.
agv567 said:

This does not exist, so what would I say for the intervals? When I graph it, the function is decreasing on all, but there are asymptotes for X = +-1.

agv567 said:

Homework Statement

function is (X) / (X^2 - )

The derivative(as far as I know) is (-X^2-1) / (X^2-1)^2

I assume that you mean:
[itex]\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{x}{x^2-1}\,.[/itex]​
In that case, your derivative is correct.

So you have found that the derivative is never equal to zero.

It is discontinuous for two values of x. So it is continuous over three intervals. Check the sign of the derivative in each of the three intervals.

Well by graphing it, all of them are negative.

How would I know that you would get 2 valus for X algebraically when the derivative is never equal to zero?

agv567 said:
Well by graphing it, all of them are negative.

How would I know that you would get 2 valus for X algebraically when the derivative is never equal to zero?

Your function is f(x) = x/(x2 - 1). For which x values if this function undefined? Those values determine the intervals that Sammy was talking about.

The values are +-1
When I check the sign, all of them are negative

So would the answer look like this?

f(x) is decreasing on (negative infinity, -1) U (-1, 1) U (1, infinity)?

U meaning union

Yes.

Related to What are the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing(if any)?

1. What is the definition of increasing and decreasing intervals in a function?

The increasing and decreasing intervals in a function refer to the values of the independent variable (x) where the function is either increasing or decreasing in value. In other words, it is the range of x-values where the function is moving upwards or downwards on a graph.

2. How can I determine the increasing and decreasing intervals of a function?

To determine the increasing and decreasing intervals of a function, you need to first find the critical points of the function by setting the derivative of the function equal to zero. Then, you can use a number line or a graph to test the intervals between the critical points to see if the function is increasing or decreasing.

3. Can a function have multiple increasing or decreasing intervals?

Yes, a function can have multiple increasing or decreasing intervals. This is because the function can change direction multiple times, resulting in multiple intervals where it is either increasing or decreasing.

4. Is it possible for a function to have no increasing or decreasing intervals?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have no increasing or decreasing intervals. This can happen when the function is constant, meaning it has the same value for all x-values, or when the function has no critical points and therefore does not change direction at any point.

5. How do increasing and decreasing intervals affect the overall behavior of a function?

The increasing and decreasing intervals of a function can give us insight into the overall behavior of the function. For example, if a function has a long increasing interval and a short decreasing interval, it suggests that the function is mostly increasing and only briefly decreases before continuing to increase. This can help us understand the overall trend and shape of the function.