What are the crystallographically equivalent sites in a crystal unit cell?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine all crystallographically equivalent sites to a given unoccupied site within a single unit cell. The Wyckoff positions, which are sets of sites with independent symmetry, are tabulated for each space group and can be found online. However, determining the correct space group for a crystal can be difficult and there are programs available to assist with this task.
Useful nucleus
Given a crystal structure and the cell edges (a,b,c) , angles (alpha, beta, gamma) and the fractional coordinates of all atoms in the unit cell. Also given an arbitrary unoccupied site P by fractional coordinates (s1,s2,s3). How can I determine all the sites that are crystallographically equivalent to P within the single unit cell.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
if you apply the operations of the group to the point, you should find the equivalent positions.

For the non-expert like me, are there tabulations of these operations for each group in a simple representation (like matrix multiplication) ?
I searched but what I get is usually the so-called "Wycoff postions" , which I do not know if it is relevant to my question.

Last edited:
Yes, the Wyckoff positions are the sets of the sites with independent symmetry. That is, each Wyckoff position is a site with different symmetry than the other Wyckoff positions. The Wyckoff positions are named based on the number of equivalent sites, ie. the 2a position refers to a two sites that are symmetry equivalent. These are tabulated for every space group in various places; you can find lists on the web like this one: http://www.cryst.ehu.es/cgi-bin/cryst/programs/nph-wp-list
The "hard" part is determining which space group is correct for your crystal. The space group is determined by the crystal structure and the coordinates of the atoms. But there are programs written to do that, like the findsym program: http://stokes.byu.edu/findsym.html

Thank you very much! That helps a alot!

Related to What are the crystallographically equivalent sites in a crystal unit cell?

What are equivalent sites in a crystal?

Equivalent sites in a crystal refer to atoms or molecules that have the same structural and chemical properties. They may differ in their physical orientation within the crystal lattice, but they have identical chemical and bonding characteristics.

How are equivalent sites determined in a crystal?

The determination of equivalent sites in a crystal is based on symmetry analysis. This involves identifying the various symmetries present in the crystal lattice and using them to determine which sites are equivalent. Equivalent sites will have the same symmetry operations applied to them, resulting in the same structural and chemical properties.

Why is it important to identify equivalent sites in a crystal?

Identifying equivalent sites in a crystal is important for understanding the crystal's structure and properties. It allows for the prediction of physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, as well as the design of new materials with desired properties. It also helps in the analysis and interpretation of experimental data.

What factors can affect the number of equivalent sites in a crystal?

The number of equivalent sites in a crystal can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and defects in the crystal lattice. These factors can change the symmetry of the crystal and result in fewer or more equivalent sites.

How are equivalent sites represented in crystallographic notation?

Equivalent sites in a crystal are represented using a combination of crystallographic coordinates and symmetry operators. The coordinates indicate the position of the site within the crystal lattice, and the symmetry operators describe the operations that can be applied to the site to generate equivalent sites. These notations are essential for accurately describing the crystal structure.