What Are the Correct Directions for the Forces in These Diagrams?

In summary, the appropriate direction of the force on the wire for each of the given diagrams is as follows: Figure 1 - UP, Figure 2 - OUT, Figure 3 - DOWN, Figure 4 - IN. This can be determined using the right hand rule, where the direction of the force is given by the cross product of the current and magnetic field vectors. It is important to use the right hand for accurate results.
shimizua

Homework Statement

Decide from the following list of possibilities what is the appropriate direction of the force on the wire for each of the diagrams 1 through 4:

A: up; B: down; C: left; D: right; E: into the page; F: out of the page; G: None of these; H: No force

Input the answers for diagrams 1-4 as they are posed - no spaces, no commas. For example if the force on diagram 3 is into the page and there is no force on any of the other wires then input 'HHEH'.
http://capa-new.colorado.edu/teacher/capalibrary/Graphics/Gtype61/prob20v8.gif
http://capa-new.colorado.edu/teacher/capalibrary/Graphics/Gtype61/prob20v1.gif
http://capa-new.colorado.edu/teacher/capalibrary/Graphics/Gtype61/prob20v3.gif
http://capa-new.colorado.edu/teacher/capalibrary/Graphics/Gtype61/prob20v6.gif

Homework Equations

well i used the right hand rule and came up with BAEG but don't know what i did wrong. Not too good with the right hand rule

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the way I learned it: F = IlxB , where I is the current, l is the length (direction too, since it is a vector quantity), and B is the magnetic field, with the cross product operation.

So for figure 1: point the fingers of your right hand in the direction of I, and point your palm in the direction of B. The direction of your thumb will be the direction of the force. So the force will be UP.

Figure 2: fingers in the direction of I, palm in the direction of B, so the force is OUT.

Figure 3: fingers in the direction of I, palm in the direction of B, force points in the direction of the thumb: the force is DOWN.

Figure 4: fingers of the right hand in the direction of I, palm in the direction of B, thumb points in the direction of the force: so the force is IN.

Alternatively, you can think of it as the direction a screw would advance if you put the tails of the two vectors together, and screwed I in the direction of B through the smaller angle.

Hope this helps.

hey thanks that was right. i really hate right hand rule stuff

It's really simple stuff. Just point your fingers and palm in the right direction, and you've got the direction of the force. It all comes from the formula with the cross product.

And always remember to use your right hand, or you'll have the force in the wrong direction. It is the right hand rule, after all.

Related to What Are the Correct Directions for the Forces in These Diagrams?

1. What is the Right Hand Rule?

The Right Hand Rule is a mnemonic device used to determine the direction of a magnetic field or the direction of current flow in a wire. It is based on the principle that when a current-carrying wire is placed in a magnetic field, the resulting force on the wire will be perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field. The Right Hand Rule helps to determine the direction of this perpendicular force.

2. How do you use the Right Hand Rule?

To use the Right Hand Rule, hold your right hand out with your thumb, index finger, and middle finger perpendicular to each other, forming a 90-degree angle. Point your index finger in the direction of the current, your middle finger in the direction of the magnetic field, and your thumb will point in the direction of the resulting force.

3. Why is the Right Hand Rule important?

The Right Hand Rule is important because it helps to determine the direction of a magnetic field or current flow in a wire, which is essential in understanding the behavior of electric motors, generators, and other electromagnetic devices. It is also used in many engineering and physics applications, such as determining the direction of a torque on a current-carrying loop in a magnetic field.

4. Are there different versions of the Right Hand Rule?

Yes, there are different versions of the Right Hand Rule depending on the specific scenario. The most commonly used version is the one described above, but there are variations for situations such as determining the direction of a magnetic field around a current-carrying wire, or the direction of a force on a current-carrying conductor in a magnetic field.

5. Can the Right Hand Rule be used for other fields besides electromagnetism?

Yes, the Right Hand Rule can be used for other fields besides electromagnetism. It can also be applied to determine the direction of a vector cross product in mathematics, or the direction of a torque in mechanics. However, the specific hand positioning and application may differ slightly depending on the field being studied.