What are the coordinates of the vertex for the graph of f(x) = 3x^2 + 6x - 9?

In summary, Peter found that the vertex of the standard parabola y = x2 has been shifted left by 1 unit, and shifted down by 12 units.
Peter G.
Hi :smile:

So: Let f (x) = 3x2 + 6x - 9

For the graph of f:

a) Write down the coordinate of the vertex
b) Write down the equation of the axis of symmetry
c) Write down the the y intercept
iv) Find both x intercepts

My answers:
a) For a I managed to find the x coordinate of the vertex by:

x = -b / 2a
x = -6 / 6
x = -1

However, I am having difficulties with the y coordinates. This is what I tried:

c-b2/4a, hence: -9 - 36 = 45 / 12

But I am pretty sure I went wrong somewhere!

b) x = -1

c) The y intercept: - 9
d) The x's I factorized and got the answers, so my real problem is with the y coordinate of the vertex I guess!

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:

x = -b / 2a
x = -6 / 6
x = -1

Yep, it's wrong. The 4a part doesn't go under the c - b2, just the b2. It should be
[tex]c - \frac{b^2}{4a} = -9 - \frac{6^2}{4 \cdot 3} = -9 - \frac{36}{12} = ...[/tex]

Anyway, why use this formula? I would just plug in the x-value into the original equation f(x) = 3x2 + 6x - 9 and find the y-coordinate:
[tex]f(-1) = 3(-1)^2 + 6(-1) - 9 = ...[/tex]

Peter G. said:

For the graph of f:

My answers:

x = -b / 2a
x = -6 / 6
x = -1

After you have found the x-coordinate of the vertex, just evaluate the function at that number.

f(-1) = 3(-1)2 + 6(-1) - 9 = 3 - 6 - 9 = -12.

Also, rather than memorize a formula for the coordinates that you will probably forget in time, it's probably better to find the vertex by completing the square.

y = 3x2 + 6x - 9 = 3(x2 + 2x) - 9 = 3(x2 + 2x + 1) - 9 - 3 = 3(x + 1)2 - 12

This shows that the vertex of the standard parabola y = x2 has been shifted left by 1 unit, and shifted down by 12 units, which puts the vertex of the transformed function at (-1, -12).
Peter G. said:
b) x = -1

d) The x's I factorized and got the answers, so my real problem is with the y coordinate of the vertex I guess!

Thanks,
Peter G.

Thanks a lot guys!

Firstly, thanks for the formula I had wrong, and, I ended up realizing how stupid I was for not sub'ing the x value into the equation :shy:

Peter G. said:

For the graph of f:

My answers:

x = -b / 2a
x = -6 / 6
x = -1

It is better to think about what you are doing than just apply memorized formulas, especially here where you have mis-memorized the formula.
Since you know that x= -1, just use the original formula to find y= 3(-1)^2+ 6(-1)- 9

b) x = -1

Thanks,
Peter G.
Do you know where formulas you cite for the x and y coordinates of the vertex come from? Completing the square:
[tex]ax^2+ bx+ c= a(x^2+ (b/a)x )+ c= a(x^2+ (b/a)x+ (b^2/4a)- (b^2/4a))+ c[/tex]
Taking that [itex]-(b^2/4a)[/itex] out of the parentheses, it is multiplied by that leading "a":
[tex]= a(x^2+ (b/a)x+ (b^2/4a)+ c- b^2/4= a(x+ b/2a)^2+ c- b^2/4[/itex]

When x= -b/2a, [itex]y= (0)^2+ c- b^2/4a[/itex]. Since a square is never less than 0, for any other value of x, y is either larger than that (if a> 0) or less (if a< 0). In either case, x= -b/2a, [itex]y= c- b^2/4[/itex] are the x and y components of the vertex. (And notice that y is NOT [itex]c-b^2/4a[/itex]

Hi, sorry, another doubt arose... :mad:

For: y = 3x - 5

Find y when: x = 0, ± 1, ± 2x

So, for 0 and ± 1 I managed to do it, but I didn't understand the 2x :confused:

In addition to that, it then asks us to discuss y as x moves towards infinity and as x moves towards negative infinity. They expect me to say that, for positive infinity, it gets infinitely bigger but never smaller than -4 and for negative infinity I am unsure...

If we define g(x) = 3x - 5, we can see that:
g(0) = 30 - 5 = 1 - 5 = -4
g(1) = 31 - 5 = 3 - 5 = -2
g(-1) = 3-1 - 5 = 1/3 - 5 = -14/3

Then what is g(2x)? g(-2x)?

As x gets larger and larger, what does 3x do?
As x gets more and more negative, what does 3x do? To answer this, it might be helpful to calculate a few more values of g(x) for negative values of x.

Hi Mark 44, thank you for your patience :smile:

g(2x) would be for when x = 2 for example, 34 - 5 = 76?

And, for when x is positive, as it increases, it keeps growing and growing.
As for when the values of negative x get bigger and bigger, 3x keep getting smaller and smaller

Peter G. said:
In addition to that, it then asks us to discuss y as x moves towards infinity and as x moves towards negative infinity. They expect me to say that, for positive infinity, it gets infinitely bigger but never smaller than -4 and for negative infinity I am unsure...

It sounds like you are being asked two things:
- as the x-values approaches positive infinity, what do the y-values approach?
- as the x-values approaches negative infinity, what do the y-values approach?

I think you already solve the first part (when x -> +∞, y -> +∞). The "never smaller than -4" has nothing to do with the first part, however. For the second part, try plugging in values for x (x = -1, x = -10, x = -100,...) and see what the corresponding y-values are.

EDIT: didn't see Mark44's post. Also:
Peter G. said:
As for when the values of negative x get bigger and bigger, 3x keep getting smaller and smaller
You need to be more specific. Are the corresponding y-values getting larger and larger in the negative direction? Or they "leveling" off, getting close to a specific value?

No, g(2x) is different from g(2), which is 32 - 5 = 9 - 5 = 4.
When you evaluate g(2x) you will get an expression that involves x.

Peter G. said:
Can you be more specific? "Smaller and smaller" could mean more and more negative.

Ok, for the 2x, I am still a bit confused. Would it be then: 32x - 5
= (32)x - 5
= 9x - 5?

And, for what I meant with my statement: So, as the value of x gets increasingly smaller: e.g: -1, -2, -5, 3x decreases in magnitude: 1/3, 1/9, 1/243. When 5 is subtracted from them, they start to level off, getting closer and closer to 5 but never quite reaching it?

Peter G. said:
Ok, for the 2x, I am still a bit confused. Would it be then: 32x - 5
= (32)x - 5
= 9x - 5?
Or you could just stop at 32x - 5
Peter G. said:
And, for what I meant with my statement: So, as the value of x gets increasingly smaller: e.g: -1, -2, -5, 3x decreases in magnitude: 1/3, 1/9, 1/243. When 5 is subtracted from them, they start to level off, getting closer and closer to 5 but never quite reaching it?
A better way to say this is that as x gets more and more negative, 3x gets closer to 0, but remaining positive. Subtracting 5 results in number that are getting closer to -5 (your earlier post had -4, which might have been a typo), but always staying above -5.

Ok, cool. Thanks!

Once again, thanks to all of you who contributed. You guys are great! :biggrin:

Related to What are the coordinates of the vertex for the graph of f(x) = 3x^2 + 6x - 9?

What are the basic transformations of a function?

The basic transformations of a function are translation, reflection, stretching, and compression. Translation involves shifting the entire graph of the function horizontally or vertically. Reflection involves flipping the graph across an axis. Stretching involves making the graph taller or wider. Compression involves making the graph shorter or narrower.

How do you graph a transformed function?

To graph a transformed function, you can use the parent function as a guide and then apply the necessary transformations. For example, if the parent function is y = x^2, and you need to graph the function y = (x-2)^2 + 3, you would first move the graph of y = x^2 two units to the right, then shift it up three units.

What is the difference between a horizontal and vertical shift?

A horizontal shift involves moving the graph of a function left or right without changing its shape. This is represented by adding or subtracting a value outside of the parentheses in the function. A vertical shift involves moving the graph of a function up or down without changing its shape. This is represented by adding or subtracting a value inside the parentheses in the function.

How do you determine if a function is even, odd, or neither after a transformation?

A function is even if it remains unchanged when reflected across the y-axis. A function is odd if it remains unchanged when reflected across the origin. If a function is neither even nor odd, it will be changed in some way after being reflected across the y-axis or origin. After applying transformations to a function, you can determine if it is even, odd, or neither by checking if it remains unchanged after being reflected across the y-axis or origin.

Can a function have more than one transformation?

Yes, a function can have multiple transformations at once. These transformations will be applied in a specific order, following the order of operations. For example, if a function has both a horizontal and vertical shift, the horizontal shift will be applied first, followed by the vertical shift. It is important to consider the order of transformations when graphing a transformed function.