What are the common functions used to solve limits in single variable calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a list of functions that increase towards infinity at the fastest rate for limit solving. The conversation includes the suggestion of using asymptotic analysis and considering multiple factorials and exponentiations, as well as a starting point for a list of functions. The conversation also mentions the possibility of including power functions and nth roots in the list. The conversation ends with a link to a more comprehensive list of mathematical functions for reference.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

Can you create a list of which functions increase towards infinity the fastest for limit solving?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to make a list from least speed, to fastest speed, in approaching infinity.

As in, if you have a limit, and it has multiple types of functions, which function will be the largest, fastest.

I tried making my own little list, but I'm not sure how accurate it is, or if I'm missing any functions. Also, I'm not sure where trig functions would fit onto this list, or if they even do, because they oscillate. I'm just trying to make this for a friend.

Logarithmic > Square Root > Algebraic > Exponential ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use asymptotic analysis if you know how to.
You may also include in your list Power functions between Algebraic and Exponential, and Nth root between Logarithmic and Square Root.

There are lots of different functions depending on what you want to consider. Trouble will arise when making a list if you consider multiple factorials and exponentiations.

Maybe a starting point for a list would look something like:

$$\text{log}(x) < \text{log}(x \text{log}(x)) < x^n < b^x < x! < x^x$$

This barely covers a list of functions, and I'm not sure the list is what you are looking for.

For a more complete list of functions, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mathematical_functions

StrongSpica said:
You can use asymptotic analysis if you know how to.
You may also include in your list Power functions between Algebraic and Exponential, and Nth root between Logarithmic and Square Root.

Zondrina said:
There are lots of different functions depending on what you want to consider. Trouble will arise when making a list if you consider multiple factorials and exponentiations.

Maybe a starting point for a list would look something like:

$$\text{log}(x) < \text{log}(x \text{log}(x)) < x^n < b^x < x! < x^x$$

This barely covers a list of functions, and I'm not sure the list is what you are looking for.

For a more complete list of functions, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mathematical_functions

Thank you, I appreciate it, I was just looking for a basic list that encompasses everything one should know at a single variable calculus level!

Related to What are the common functions used to solve limits in single variable calculus?

1. What is the purpose of a list of speeds of functions?

A list of speeds of functions is used to compare the relative efficiency of various functions or algorithms. It provides a way to measure and analyze the speed and performance of different functions, which can then be used to optimize and improve code.

2. How are the speeds of functions measured?

The speeds of functions are typically measured by recording the time it takes for a function to execute a specific task or process. This can be done using built-in timing functions or by manually recording the start and end times of the function.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a function?

The speed of a function can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the complexity of the algorithm, the size of the input data, the efficiency of the programming language, and the hardware and environment in which the function is running.

4. Are there any limitations to using a list of speeds of functions?

While a list of speeds of functions can be a useful tool for analyzing and comparing different functions, it is important to note that it is not a definitive measure of performance. The results may vary depending on the specific conditions and parameters used for testing.

5. How can a list of speeds of functions be used to improve code?

By analyzing the speeds of different functions, developers can identify areas where their code may be inefficient and make necessary optimizations. This can lead to faster and more efficient programs, improving overall performance and user experience.