What Are the Chances of Becoming a Physics Professor in the US?

• Physics
  • Thread starter narayan.rocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job Physicist
In summary: There is a finite number of faculty positions that are available in physics departments at research universities. And as the field of physics continues to grow, these positions become increasingly competitive. In summary, Iam a high school student in India who is very interested in physics and wants to pursue a career in the field. I plan to go to the United States to get my undergraduate and graduate degrees in physics, and then I want to pursue a PhD in the field. I can work hard and am pretty talented, but I don't want to focus on my high school stuff right now. I hope to end up as a professor in a research university, but the chances of that happening are very slim.
narayan.rocks
Iam a high school student in India . I am very much interested in physics and i really want to take it up as a career . I plan to go to the United States to pursue my undergrad and graduate work . I want to be a theorist . I plan to get my Phd in physics . I can work really hard and i am pretty talented.
I don't want replies like " concentrate on your high school stuff " etc .
Now what are the chances that i will end up as a physics professor in a university where i can carry on independent research in theory . And other than that is there any other job in academia where i can carry on my independent research in theory .

Thanks for any replies

Physics news on Phys.org
I strongly suggest you worry about getting your undergraduate degree first, rather than projecting what might happen many, many years from now.

It is not the reply you want, but it is the most sensible one I can give. This question, and your other question on postdoc pay, are just too early to even make any reasonable guess. I also do not think you have all the knowledge to actually know what physics is like and what areas of study that are available. In other words, you are not yet equipped to make this type of decision.

Zz.

ZapperZ is very right. .Also you are a high schooler which only have explored the Classical Physics and a very little in quantum.Just join a good college for doing your Undergraduate. Firstly do your Undergraduate,Join Physics Societies/Clubs and explore physics researches.
After that ask yourself that you want to Proceed in Physics or going to switch other Stream.

It's a long, hard road I'm afraid.

You have to remember, that first off, the cohort of people who enter an undergraduate physics program are generally fairly high on the intelligence and industrious curves to begin with and just about all of them are at least considering academia as a career.

Along the way many discover (a) physics doesn't intereste them as much as they thought, (b) they aren't as smart as they thought they were, (c) they have other passions, or (d) they lose the ability to work hard either for internal or external reasons. As a result, maybe 1/2 who start end up graduating.

Then there's getting into graduate school. You go through another set of bottlenecks here just to get in. Some people simply decide to go and get a job in the real world. Others just aren't competative for the spots they apply for. I think it would be safe to assume another factor of 1/2 here, although it could be closer to 1/4.

Now you've got 4-7 years worth of graduate school. You live on a minimal stipend. You work long hours. Other interests develop. You have to pass a qualifying exam, cadidacy exam, publish papers and defend a thesis - the failure of anyone can mean that you don't graduate. Let's say again a factor of 1/2 are actually awarded the PhD.

If you're keeping track we're already an order of magnitude less than the number of people who chose to embark on this journey and the bottlenecks tend to select in favour of the intelligent and industrious and dedicated ones.

From this point there are dozens of posts already on these forums that attempt to guess the chances of landing a permanent, academic position at a research university once you have you're PhD. This is generally believed to be another factor of 1/10 for a number of reasons. These include the fact that your typical professor will graduate approximately 10 PhDs, but will only need one to replace him or her.

All of these are gross estimates, but I don't think it would be too far off to assume you're looking at decrease of about two orders of magnitude from the initial cohort that starts out intending to become professors.

Restricting yourself to theory further reduces your chances.

Congratulations on your passion for physics and your determination to pursue it as a career! It's great to see young students like you interested in the field of science.

To become a physicist, it's important to have a strong foundation in math and science, so continue to excel in your high school studies and prepare for college. Pursuing your undergraduate and graduate studies in the United States is a great idea, as many top universities in the US have excellent physics programs and opportunities for research.

As for your goal of becoming a theorist and obtaining a PhD in physics, it's definitely achievable with hard work and dedication. Many universities offer PhD programs in theoretical physics, and with a PhD, you can certainly become a physics professor at a university and carry out independent research in theory.

In addition to becoming a professor, there are other job opportunities in academia where you can continue your independent research in theory. For example, you could work as a research scientist in a university or research institute, or you could become a postdoctoral researcher where you can work on your own research projects under the guidance of a senior scientist. You could also consider working as a consultant or advisor for companies or government agencies that require expertise in theoretical physics.

Overall, the chances of you becoming a physics professor and carrying out independent research in theory are quite good as long as you continue to work hard and pursue your passion for physics. Keep in mind that the field of physics is constantly evolving, so it's important to stay updated and adapt to new developments in the field. Good luck in your future endeavors!

Related to What Are the Chances of Becoming a Physics Professor in the US?

What is the job outlook for physicists?

The job outlook for physicists is positive, with a projected growth rate of 7% from 2019 to 2029 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is faster than the average for all occupations, and is due to the continued demand for scientific research and development in various industries.

What are the typical job responsibilities of a physicist?

Physicists typically conduct research to develop theories or understand natural phenomena, design experiments to test these theories, analyze data, and present their findings. They may also work on developing new technologies or applications based on their research.

What education and skills are required to become a physicist?

To become a physicist, you typically need a graduate degree in physics or a related field, such as astronomy or engineering. Strong analytical and mathematical skills are also essential, as well as the ability to think critically and creatively.

What industries and organizations hire physicists?

Physicists can work in a variety of industries, including research and development, government agencies, academia, and private companies. They may also work in fields such as healthcare, energy, and defense.

What is the average salary for physicists?

The average salary for physicists varies depending on experience, education, and industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists was $122,850 in May 2020. However, those with advanced degrees and experience may earn significantly more.