What are the best undergraduate optics textbooks?

In summary, there are no good optics textbooks for undergrads or lower-level students. Some options include Hecht and Born and Wolf, which are both dense and not very readable, Jenkins+white, which is out of print, and Pedrotti+Pedrotti, which is a simpler version of B+W. Some good tutorials are available online, such as Military Handbook of Optical Design and Radiation and Optics by Stone.
Bochikiniki
I am woundering about good undergrade textbooks. I have no clue where to start. Can anybody inform me on prefured authers for eather undergrade or grade level optics books?

Physics news on Phys.org
There aren't any good optics textbooks.
Hecht - the nearest to a good book, but only useful for modern optics (laser/fibre/diffraction) readqable but no good as a reference.
Born and Wolf - nobody can understand this, you look the answer up somewhere else and put the B+W reference to sound clever.
Jenkins+white - on it's 124th edition, but only because the first one predates Newton.
Pedrotti+pedrotti - a simpler version of B+W.
Modern optical engineering / Modern lens design - not enough detail to really create an optical design but not enough background to understand it.

There are also a bunch of tutorials on Zemax etc - usually only available for course on Zemax.

Last edited:
I like Predrotti + Pedrotti (Intro to optics), it has a fair bit of explanation and mathematical derivation. It certainly helped me during my undergrad years.

We used Klein and Furtak; it was ok, I suppose.

Available for free online is the Military Handbook of Optical Design, MIL-HDBK-141, which is a bit dense, but it is free and covers the material at a basic level.

Stone's "Radiation and Optics" is out of print, but your library may have a copy.

i don't know but hecht is terrible

Hecht does seem to polarise opinions.
It doesn't have the rigour of B+W but it is readable or too wordy!
It doesn't cover geometric optics as well as 'modern optics'. Although one reviewer complained that it covers geometric optics at all - since no one needs to know that stuff these days, apparently it's all done by software!

I have the earlier Hecht+zacht edition - it seems to have doubled in size in recent editions.

Maybe Guenther - Modern optics...

Related to What are the best undergraduate optics textbooks?

1. What is the purpose of studying optics in undergraduate courses?

Studying optics in undergraduate courses is important as it provides a fundamental understanding of how light behaves and interacts with matter. This knowledge is essential in many scientific and technological fields such as physics, engineering, and medicine.

2. What topics are typically covered in optics undergraduate textbooks?

Optics undergraduate textbooks cover a wide range of topics including geometrical optics, physical optics, wave optics, and modern optics. Other topics such as optical instruments, polarization, and diffraction may also be included.

3. Are there any recommended prerequisites for studying optics at the undergraduate level?

While some basic knowledge of physics and mathematics is helpful, most optics undergraduate textbooks are designed to be accessible to students with a general science background. Some may require knowledge of calculus and algebra.

4. What are some common applications of optics in everyday life?

Optics has numerous applications in our daily lives, such as in cameras, glasses, telescopes, and microscopes. It also plays a crucial role in technologies like fiber optics, lasers, and solar panels.

5. How can I use optics undergraduate textbooks to enhance my understanding of the subject?

Aside from reading and studying the material, it is helpful to work through practice problems and experiments to reinforce the concepts learned. It is also beneficial to seek out additional resources, such as online lectures or demonstrations, to supplement the textbook material.