What are the Best Resources for Self-Studying Precalculus?

• Thread starter YYaaSSeeRR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalculus
In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a self-study precalculus book. The speaker suggests avoiding books from companies like "for dummies" and instead recommends more rigorous textbooks like Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang or Algebra and Trigonometry by Sheldon Axler. They also mention Precalculus Mathematics in a Nutshell by George F. Simmons as a good option for a quick overview of the subject.
YYaaSSeeRR
hi
I need a self-study precalculus book ,I am thinking about Precalculus for dummies.
what do you think about this book?

what are other recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
It probably depends on the level of rigor in which you wish to know pre-calculus. A "... for dummies" book would be very non-rigorous and would probably just give you formulas and plug-n-chug problems, giving you a somewhat superficial understanding of the material.

Having worked through Serge Lang's Basic Mathematics, I can say that, if you want a relatively rigorous book (it includes proofs, including some as exercises), then that would be the ideal book for you. I actually worked through that book the summer before I took pre-calculus in school, and the material that we covered in that class was almost exactly what was covered in the book, so don't worry about missing any topics.

Algebra and Trigonometry by Sheldon Axler ...very good but a bit big and serious
Precalculus Mathematics in a Nutshell: Geometry, Algebra, Trigonometry by George F. Simmons the perfect one for a fast look through precalculus ...a bit short though
Basic Mathematics By lang also perfect but you need to get familiar with its writing style .

I wouldn't use those books from companies like "for dummies". If you truly want a full understanding, get a textbook. I would suggest Amazon, and check the reviews (be careful, some are fake).

I cannot provide a personal opinion on a specific book. However, there are a few key factors to consider when choosing resources for self-studying precalculus.

Firstly, make sure the book covers all the necessary topics in precalculus, such as functions, algebraic equations, trigonometry, and analytic geometry. It should also include practice problems and solutions to help reinforce your understanding.

Secondly, consider the credibility and expertise of the author. Look for books written by mathematicians or educators with a strong background in precalculus.

Additionally, utilize online resources such as Khan Academy, which offers free video tutorials and practice exercises on precalculus topics. Other websites like MathisFun and Mathplanet also provide comprehensive lessons and practice problems for precalculus.

Lastly, don't underestimate the power of practice and application. Find additional practice problems and work through them to solidify your understanding of the concepts.

In summary, the best resources for self-studying precalculus are comprehensive textbooks, online resources, and practice problems. It's important to choose resources that cover all the necessary topics and are written by credible authors. And remember, consistent practice and application are key to mastering precalculus.

Related to What are the Best Resources for Self-Studying Precalculus?

1. What is precalculus?

Precalculus is a branch of mathematics that prepares students for the study of calculus. It covers topics such as functions, graphs, trigonometry, and algebraic equations.

2. Why do I need to learn precalculus?

Precalculus is an essential foundation for higher level math courses such as calculus, physics, and engineering. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem solving skills.

3. Is precalculus difficult?

Precalculus can be challenging, especially if you struggle with algebra and trigonometry. However, with consistent practice and a good understanding of the concepts, it can be mastered.

4. What are some tips for studying precalculus?

Some tips for studying precalculus include practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or teacher when needed, breaking down problems into smaller parts, and making use of online resources and practice problems.

5. Can I skip precalculus and go straight to calculus?

It is not recommended to skip precalculus and go straight to calculus. Precalculus provides important foundational knowledge and skills that are necessary for understanding and succeeding in calculus. It is important to have a strong understanding of precalculus before moving on to calculus.