What are the best high-energy physics establishments?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's search for summer work placements in the high-energy physics field between each year of their degree. They have considered CERN and Fermilab as definite options but are struggling to think of a third. They prefer options in Europe or the US and are open to suggestions. The speaker also mentions the competitiveness of these placements and asks for relevant information. Suggestions such as BNL and DESY are given, as well as a link to a website with potential opportunities. The conversation also discusses the possibility of exploring universities with heavy involvement at CERN and a book recommendation for applying to these positions.
epsilon
I am thinking of places to do summer work placements in the high-energy physics field between each year of my degree.

I have thought of CERN (of course) and Fermilab as the two definites. However I am struggling to think of a third. Also, I would prefer Europe/US so this rules out T2K. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You do realize that these are extraordinarily competitive, right? You don't just decide you're going to zip off to CERN for the summer.

Of course, I meant it in the sense that it is a definite place that I will apply. Any useful information in relation to the original question?

BNL? Not sure how relevant RHIC is to the high-energy crowd.

How about DESY?

Thanks for that link, it had quite a few interesting possibilities for me to look at!

There are 3000 physicists from all around the world who spend some time at CERN, and some time back at their home universities. So it might be worth exploring possibilities at Universities with heavy involvement at CERN. Read "Smashing Physics" by Jon Butterworth - he's a professor at UCL, so there's somewhere to look for starters! He mentions other universities with heavy involvement, plus has great tips for applying for positions - like, he says he's fed up with students saying they want to do string theory, so stress you want to do experimental high energy physics :)

Related to What are the best high-energy physics establishments?

1. What is high-energy physics?

High-energy physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at very high energies, such as those found in particle accelerators. It seeks to understand the fundamental particles and forces that make up the universe.

2. Why is it important to have high-energy physics establishments?

High-energy physics establishments, such as particle accelerators and research facilities, allow scientists to conduct experiments and gather data that helps us understand the fundamental nature of the universe. This knowledge can lead to advancements in technology, medicine, and our understanding of the world around us.

3. What are some of the top high-energy physics establishments?

Some of the top high-energy physics establishments include CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research), Fermilab (Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory), DESY (Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron), SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, and KEK (High Energy Accelerator Research Organization).

4. How do scientists conduct experiments at high-energy physics establishments?

Scientists use particle accelerators to accelerate particles to near-light speeds and then collide them with other particles or targets. They then study the resulting collisions to gather data and test theories about the fundamental nature of matter and energy.

5. What are some recent advancements in high-energy physics research?

Some recent advancements in high-energy physics research include the discovery of the Higgs boson, the study of dark matter and dark energy, and the development of new accelerator technologies such as plasma wakefield acceleration. Additionally, high-energy physics research has led to advancements in medical imaging and cancer treatment technologies.