What are some ways to 'mold'/change the shape of a flame?

• I
  • Thread starter zogeta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shape
In summary: This is particularly important if you are using a gas stove with a small oven cavity like the classic British range.Ideally the exit flow area from the extension piece should be the same as the flow area in the main tube .If you want a really wide but narrow flame then use a proper slot burner as mentioned by @bigfooted or use several needle burners side by side.
zogeta
What are some ways I can go about change the shape of a bunsen burner flame, specifically in a linear shape of around 4cm

Physics news on Phys.org
Gas burners in general can be made to produce many different flame shapes .

What do you mean by a linear shape of around 4 cm ? Post a sketch .

I don't know for sure about bunsen burners but the propane torch that I use in my wood shop has the same kind of flame outlet and it has a variety of flanges that change the shape of the flame. Of course for it the gas shoots out under pressure so it easy to manipulate. As I recall bunsen burners from chem class they are a much more soft flame so that might not work.

Nidum said:
Gas burners in general can be made to produce many different flame shapes .

What do you mean by a linear shape of around 4 cm ? Post a sketch .
What I mean is that I would like the bunsen burner's regular flame to be transformed into a rectangle with a length of 4cm and a width <<<4cm

Do you mean like a slot burner? You want to create a thin rectangular flame sheet?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a really wide but narrow flame then use a proper slot burner as mentioned by @bigfooted or use several needle burners side by side .

One advantage of a proper slot burner is that the burner tube can be set horizontal so that you can avoid problems of excessive height .

Related to What are some ways to 'mold'/change the shape of a flame?

1. How can I make a candle flame taller?

The best way to make a candle flame taller is to trim the wick to be slightly longer than the desired height. This allows more fuel to be drawn up the wick, creating a larger and taller flame. Additionally, make sure the wick is straight and centered in the wax to ensure an even burn.

2. Can I change the color of a flame?

Yes, you can change the color of a flame by introducing certain chemicals into the flame. For example, adding salt (sodium chloride) to a flame will produce a yellow color, while adding copper sulfate will create a blue-green flame. Be cautious when experimenting with chemicals and flames, as some may be dangerous.

3. How can I make a flame less intense?

To make a flame less intense, you can try blowing on it gently or moving it to a less windy location. You can also reduce the amount of fuel by trimming the wick or using a smaller candle. If the flame is still too intense, you can extinguish it and relight it later when needed.

4. Is it possible to change the shape of a flame?

Yes, there are various ways to change the shape of a flame. One method is to use a candle snuffer to partially cover the flame, causing it to elongate and take on a different shape. Another way is to use a fan or blow on the flame to manipulate its shape. However, be cautious when manipulating flames as they can be dangerous.

5. How can I create a specific shape with a flame?

To create a specific shape with a flame, you can use a candle holder or mold that has a specific opening or design. As the candle burns, the flame will take on the shape of the opening or design. You can also use wire or other materials to create a frame or outline for the flame to follow. Just be sure to keep flammable materials away from the flame and always supervise when experimenting with fire.