What are some recommended resources for studying General Relativity?

In summary, the speaker is preparing for their bachelor thesis and is studying articles on mimetic dark matter. Their advisor recommended studying chapters 10 and 11 of Landau Vol. 2 Field Theory on General Relativity. The speaker has some questions, including why the relative position of test bodies cannot remain unchanged over time. They also mention that the theory may have some nuances that are not covered in the book. The speaker plans to continue studying from Landau but is also seeking recommendations for other references, such as books or internet notes.
Salah93
Hi all,
I'm preparing for my bachelor thesis. I have to study some articles for the mimetic dark matter. But before this my advisor sad to me to study from Landau Vol. 2 Field Theory some General Relativity(it's my first time that I study it), chapters 10 and 11(Particles in a gravitational field and Gravitational Field Equations). Now I'm finishing the book, but there are some questions that I have(for example why the relative position of test bodies can't remain unchanged during time
Strictly speaking, the number of particles should be greater than four. Since we can construct a tetrahedron from any six line segments, we can always, by a suitable definition of the reference system, make a system of four particles from an invariant tetrahedron. A fortiori, we can fix the particles relative to one another in systems of three or two particles. ) and I think that there are some subtle things in the theory that I missed because are not outlined in the book.
I'll continue to study from Landau but I think that it's better to have some other reference such as another good book or some notes on the internet. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
This question has come up here dozens of times. I suggest a forum search for recommended reading.

Related to What are some recommended resources for studying General Relativity?

1. What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how massive objects interact with each other and how that affects the curvature of space and time.

2. What are some reliable resources for learning about General Relativity?

There are many great resources for learning about General Relativity, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some recommended resources include "Gravitation" by Charles Misner, Kip Thorne, and John Wheeler, the online course "General Relativity" by Leonard Susskind on Stanford University's YouTube channel, and the video lectures by physicist Brian Greene on the World Science Festival website.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong background in physics to understand General Relativity?

While a basic understanding of physics is helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong background in order to understand the concepts of General Relativity. Many resources, such as popular science books and beginner-level online courses, are designed to be accessible to those without a deep understanding of physics.

4. How has General Relativity been tested and confirmed?

General Relativity has been tested and confirmed through a variety of experiments and observations, including the bending of starlight by the Sun's gravitational field, the precession of Mercury's orbit, and the detection of gravitational waves by the LIGO experiment. These and other tests have consistently shown that General Relativity accurately describes the behavior of gravity.

5. Can General Relativity be applied to everyday situations?

While General Relativity is most commonly used in the study of astrophysics and cosmology, it can also be applied to everyday situations. For example, the Global Positioning System (GPS) uses General Relativity to account for the effects of time dilation on satellite clocks, which allows for precise location tracking on Earth.