What are some recommended astrophysics and cosmology books for general reading?

• Thread starter Nylex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, there are several recommended books for general reading on astrophysics and cosmology. These include "The First Three Minutes" by Steven Weinberg, "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku, "Black Holes & Time Warps" by Kip Thorne, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan. Each book offers a unique perspective on the subject and ranges in difficulty from easy to comprehend to more technical reading.
Nylex
Does anyone have any recommendations for good astrophyiscs or cosmology books for general reading (ie. not textbooks!)? I've heard "The Universe in a Nutshell" is pretty poor, but "A Brief History of Time" is better (I think it was that way round not sure). Any others? All I seem to find are textbooks :frown:.

Physics news on Phys.org
May be you want to try ‘The First Three Minutes: A Modern View of the Origin of the Universe’ of Steven Weinberg (Nobel laureate). It was written in the late 70’s when cosmology was emerging as a very promising science. I think it is not an easy book and it contains some obsolete parts (at least the old edition), but it is very deep and accurate, without formulas. Personally I found this book fascinating.

I'll have a look at that book, thanks :).

Any one interested in reading Cosmology must read A book called "Hyperspace" written by Michio Kaku.. The most fascinating and easy to comprehend... Widens the dimensions of our brain...

pawanmakadia said:
Any one interested in reading Cosmology must read A book called "Hyperspace" written by Michio Kaku.. The most fascinating and easy to comprehend... Widens the dimensions of our brain...

Thanks for that suggestion as well :smile:.

There's also Kip Thorne's "Black Holes & Time Warps" and Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe".

Alan Guth's "The Inflationary Universe" is a great history of the development of modern Big Bang theory, provided you have some familiarity with the subject already & enjoy some technical reading.

For a total newcomer, I'd probably go with Sagan's "Cosmos".

recon said:
There's also Kip Thorne's "Black Holes & Time Warps" and Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe".

It's been a while, but I've already got "The Elegant Universe". Great book! Thanks though (to Phobos also) :smile:.

Related to What are some recommended astrophysics and cosmology books for general reading?

1. What is the difference between astrophysics and cosmology?

Astrophysics is the branch of astronomy that deals with the physical properties and processes of celestial bodies and the universe as a whole. It focuses on the study of the behavior, structure, and evolution of objects such as planets, stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. Cosmology, on the other hand, is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It aims to understand the fundamental nature of the universe, including its origins, composition, and development.

2. What are some recommended books for beginners in astrophysics and cosmology?

Some popular books for beginners in astrophysics and cosmology include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson, "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene.

3. Are there any books that focus specifically on a certain aspect of astrophysics or cosmology?

Yes, there are many books that focus on specific topics within astrophysics and cosmology. For example, "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne delves into the fascinating world of black holes, while "The Big Bang" by Simon Singh explores the history and evidence for the Big Bang theory.

4. How can I stay updated on the latest developments and discoveries in astrophysics and cosmology?

One way to stay updated is to regularly read scientific journals and publications, such as Nature, Science, and Astronomy Magazine. You can also follow reputable astrophysicists and cosmologists on social media or attend conferences and lectures on the subject.

5. Are there any online resources or courses that can supplement my reading of astrophysics and cosmology books?

Yes, there are many online resources and courses available for those interested in astrophysics and cosmology. Some popular options include online lectures from universities such as MIT and Yale, as well as online courses from platforms like Coursera and edX. Additionally, there are many informative YouTube channels and podcasts dedicated to discussing these topics.