What are some project ideas for an AP Physics class involving electricity?

In summary: I’m also thinking about doing some type of fluid dynamics. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do?
katie14618
I have to do a project for my AP physics class. It’s due in about a week and I have no clue what to do for it. I’d like to do something that has to do with electricity but I’m open for any ideas. If anyone has done or knows about a fun physics experiment, please tell me about it. It can’t be too hard to do because I’m not too knowledgeable in physics but it also can’t be too easy. Thanks.

P.S. I checked out the science fair project ideas post but I didn’t see anything there that seemed appropriate for an AP physics class.

Physics news on Phys.org
any good at programming? do classical mechanics billiards balls esque simulation

Or some type of fluid dynamics.

You could make a solenoid/electromagnet. All you need is a DC power supply (= batteries hooked up in series), a rod made of a ferromagnetic metal (iron is probably the easiest to acquire), and a lot of wire. If you get enough current, you'll see noticeable effects.

There are equations that you can use/derive which will give you an idea of what kind of power supply, how many coils of wire you will need, etc.

Tip: don't hold the wires to the batteries with your hands. Apply them with something. An electrical jolt, while surprising, is not always fun. I speak from experience...

You could make a potato gun. They're cheap, easy to build and make, and are quite fun. You could apply some of your math/physics knowledge and try to compute some interesting things about it, like muzzle velocity, perhaps maximum firing chamber pressure, among other things.

Potato guns are fun.

You could make a trebuchet. With pretty simple concepts of rotational kinematics you can calculate what you need to build and then compare your calculations to the results. Plus, you get to throw things long distances. This one is probably the hardest to make.

You could do something with model rockets. Estes has lots of really cool rockets.

You could demonstrate electromagnetic induction (I think that's the right term) with a big magnet, a bit of wire, and a lightbulb. On this note, you could also try making a hand-powered generator of some kind.

You could read up a bit on basic circuit design and create some simple logic gates. You could combine them to form simple mathematic calculations, maybe. (A friend of mine did this, so I'm not sure how complicated it would be)

You could study the photoelectric effect -- that is, the effect that certain metals exhibit of creating an electric current when hooked up in a circuit and exposed to light of the right wavelength. Solar panels ahoy!

Last edited:
neurocomp2003: No, I’m not very good at programming. I’ve taken Java for 2 years but I only know the basics.

Night Owl: Thanks for all the ideas! I might try the electromagnet or electromagnetic induction.

Related to What are some project ideas for an AP Physics class involving electricity?

1. What is AP Physics?

AP Physics, or Advanced Placement Physics, is a high school level physics course that covers topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and optics. It is designed to be equivalent to a first-year college level physics course and can be taken by students who have completed a pre-requisite physics class.

2. What are some good project ideas for AP Physics?

Some good project ideas for AP Physics could include exploring the physics behind roller coasters, designing and building a simple machine, investigating the relationship between force and motion, or analyzing the physics behind sports equipment. Other ideas could include creating a model of the solar system, studying the physics of music and sound, or conducting experiments with electromagnetism.

3. How can I come up with a unique AP Physics project idea?

To come up with a unique AP Physics project idea, you can start by identifying a topic or concept that interests you. Then, think about how you can apply physics principles to this topic or concept. You can also do some research to see what other students have done in the past and use that as inspiration to come up with your own unique project idea.

4. Do I have to conduct experiments for my AP Physics project?

This depends on the specific project requirements set by your teacher. Some AP Physics projects may require you to conduct experiments to collect data and analyze results, while others may involve more theoretical or design-based work. It is important to carefully read and follow the project guidelines given by your teacher.

5. How should I present my AP Physics project?

The presentation format for your AP Physics project will depend on the guidelines set by your teacher. Some common ways to present a project could include creating a written report, designing a poster or infographic, or giving a presentation. It is important to follow any specific guidelines given by your teacher and to clearly and effectively communicate your project findings and conclusions.