What are some potential research questions for an IB Extended Essay in Physics?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a student's International Baccalaureate extended essay in physics, in which they are tasked with designing and conducting a lab to answer a research question. They were seeking suggestions for potential research questions and topics, and other students shared their own experiences and interests in different areas of physics. Some suggestions included exploring thermodynamics, standing waves, and optics experiments.
Quantum_Prodegy
Hey everybody,

I'm doing my International Baccalaureate extended essay (2500 to 4000 words) in physics, which means basically i need to come up with a research question and hypothesis, then design and procede with a lab to answer this question. For example a guy at my school last year did his on which material best blocks out sound. In essense, this is one giant lab report.

Any suggestions for a research question welcome!
-jonny

Physics news on Phys.org
hey, are you in Toronto, Canada for IB?

Close, I'm in Ottawa at Ashbury College...why?

oh ic, ur in Toronto, awesome, my parents grew up there...wat school?

ya, I'm taking IB at Victoria Park SS, nice meeting u, sorry can't help with topic tho, I'm in first year IB

Hi Quantum,

Nice to see an fellow IB physics nerd on PF...

I am also doing my EE in physics this year. I haven't really started yet...

The most important thing, I think, is that you choose something that interests you. What areas covered in Physics 20 and 30 did you most enjoy?

Hey nice meeting both of you,

I'm still in grade 11, first year IB. My school wants us to get an early start on the EE because last years class and the graduating class this year have left theirs too late. I have only covered mechanics (motion forces work energy and power) and a bit of sound and waves. So I'm not exactly sure what I'm most interested in, i really enjoyed mechanics, I have a really strong interest in flight as well. Light and geometrics sounds interesting too. I guess I should research these different areas more thoroughly first but I'm looking for ideas to get me thinking.

thanks,
jonny

Hm...I remember the later units in Physics 20 being pretty good for ideas. You could do something in thermodynamics, play with some liquid nitrogen and shatter bananas! That would be fun. Also consider the SHM unit, standing waves and harmonic frequencies and the like. This is also related to optics, which is covered little in IB physics and so can be useful as an extra topic to learn about. Many optics experiments are also very doable in a high school laboratory.

Related to What are some potential research questions for an IB Extended Essay in Physics?

1. What is the purpose of an IB Extended Essay in Physics?

The main purpose of an IB Extended Essay in Physics is to allow students to engage in independent research and delve deeper into a specific topic within the field of physics. It also serves as an opportunity for students to develop and showcase their research, critical thinking, and communication skills.

2. How long should an IB Extended Essay in Physics be?

The recommended length for an IB Extended Essay in Physics is between 3,000 and 4,000 words. However, this may vary depending on the topic and research question chosen by the student.

3. Can I choose any topic for my IB Extended Essay in Physics?

Yes, you can choose any topic related to physics that interests you. However, it is important to ensure that your topic is specific and researchable within the given time frame. It is also recommended to consult with your supervisor for guidance and approval on your chosen topic.

4. How do I conduct research for my IB Extended Essay in Physics?

The first step is to identify credible and reliable sources of information. This can include scientific journals, textbooks, and reputable websites. It is also important to follow proper research methods and ethics, such as citing all sources and avoiding plagiarism.

5. How is the IB Extended Essay in Physics assessed?

The IB Extended Essay in Physics is assessed by an external examiner based on a set of criteria, including the quality of research, analysis and interpretation of data, and organization and presentation of the essay. It is also evaluated on the student's ability to critically evaluate their topic and draw appropriate conclusions.