What are some potential career options for a 27 year old physics grad in the UK?

In summary, a 27-year-old with an undergraduate master's degree in physics is currently working as a process engineer in the UK and trying to write a PhD in semiconductor physics. However, they are struggling with motivation and considering alternative career options, particularly in design. The advice is to finish the PhD since they have already put in a significant amount of effort, but also to start exploring other options now. Given their background in semiconductor physics, they could consider pursuing a career in technical design, potentially reaching out to companies for job opportunities or internships.
physgeekgeek
Hi,

I'm a 27 year old with undergraduate masters in physics. I am currently working as a process engineer in UK and trying to write up a phd in semiconductor physics. However, I'm seriously lacking the motivation to write up and wondering if there is something better I could do as a career - I want to design things. Any suggestions? Should I forget about the PhD?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you've got to the stage of writing up, I would advise you to knuckle down for a few more months and complete the PhD. You can always change field afterwards, or assess your career goals then, but if you've put this much effort in you might as well finish.

I'm with cristo in that I think given you would've put in a couple years of hard work to get to the writing up stage of your thesis it's probably worth putting in the last few months to finish it - it will look a lot better on your resume (you can always sell a PhD as "I spent 3 years working hard to create new research", it doesn't matter if it isn't precisely in the field you're going to work in - it's pretty rare it would be).

But that doesn't mean you can't look around for other options now - and since it normally takes at least a couple of months to get a job it's probably a good idea to spend a little time now scoping the scene.

Any idea of what you want to design? Do you mean technical design? Given you're working in semiconductor physics electronics wouldn't be a huge jump - you could write to some companies, and outline the type of thing you want to do for them (either levelled as a job application or as an internship so you can get a bit of experience to smooth the transition).

Related to What are some potential career options for a 27 year old physics grad in the UK?

1. What does "UK 27 year old physics grad" mean?

"UK 27 year old physics grad" refers to a person who graduated with a degree in physics from a university in the United Kingdom and is currently 27 years old.

2. What kind of job can a 27 year old physics grad get?

A 27 year old physics grad can pursue a variety of careers, including research positions in academia or industry, engineering roles, science communication, data analysis, and more. The specific job opportunities may depend on the individual's skills, interests, and experience.

3. How long does it take to graduate with a degree in physics in the UK?

The duration of a physics degree in the UK can vary, but it typically takes 3-4 years to complete an undergraduate degree, and an additional 1-2 years for a master's degree. Some students may also choose to pursue a PhD, which can take an additional 3-4 years.

4. Is it difficult to find a job with a physics degree?

The demand for physics graduates varies depending on the industry and job market, but overall, having a degree in physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities. However, it is important for individuals to develop relevant skills and gain experience through internships or research projects to enhance their job prospects.

5. What skills do physics graduates possess?

Physics graduates have a strong foundation in mathematics, critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. They also have experience in conducting experiments, analyzing data, and using various scientific tools and software. Additionally, they possess strong communication skills and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.