What are some helpful tips for understanding derivatives?

In summary, a cheat sheet for derivatives has been shared by a user in a forum. The cheat sheet includes the derivative of a constant being zero, an extended power rule, and the chain rule. It is suggested that understanding the concept of derivatives is more important than memorizing rules. A tutorial on derivatives is being created and a forum thread with derived results is recommended. The most useful formulas for derivatives are the ones that state the derivative is linear, and every polynomial function has a derivative at any point. The example of P(x) = 1-2x + 3x^4 - 5x^6 is given in Lagrange notation.
aggfx
Hey all-

I typed up this little cheat sheet to help me with my learning of derivatives so I though someone else might want to use it for reference. I plan to add to it some examples as well as log and e rules. I will keep you updated if there is any interest in those as well.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• ddx rules.pdf
    28.4 KB · Views: 596
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you need a cheat sheat to remember that the derivative of a constant is zero, you should work on understanding the concept of a derivative better.

Clearly, the point of including that rule is for the sake of a complete list.

Not a bad list but hopefully people can actually prove everything on there before just applying it. Admittedly after working a decent number of examples, nothing really needs to be memorized. Also I would put the "extended power rule" after the chain rule ;).

That may be a good thing to show (the proofs). I plan to build a little tutorial on derivs. I will post it when I am done.

Maybe the easiest and most useful formulas are the ones that say that the derivative is linear:
(f + g)'(a) = f'(a) + g'(a)\\ (cf)'(a) = c f'(a)

Combined with the formula (xn)' = n xn-1, we see that every polynomial function has a derivative at any point.

Example. For P(x) = 1-2x + 3x4 -5 x6, we have
P'(x) = -2 + 12 x^3 - 30 x^5

This may be a bit picky, but if your the type who likes lists (like in the original post), you might find it much easier to remember (and nicer to look at) writing them in Lagrange notation.

Related to What are some helpful tips for understanding derivatives?

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the rate at which one quantity changes with respect to another quantity. It is also known as the derivative.

2. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and find the maximum and minimum points, as well as the slope of a curve at any given point. It has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

3. What are the different types of differentiation techniques?

The two main types of differentiation techniques are the power rule and the chain rule. The power rule is used to find the derivative of functions with a single variable raised to a constant power. The chain rule is used to find the derivative of composite functions, where one function is nested inside another.

4. How is differentiation related to integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations. This means that the derivative of a function is the original function's slope, while the integral of a function is the original function itself. They are used together in calculus to solve problems involving rates of change and finding the area under a curve.

5. What are some common applications of differentiation techniques?

Differentiation techniques have many real-world applications, such as finding the maximum and minimum points of a profit function in economics, calculating the velocity and acceleration of an object in physics, and optimizing the design of a bridge or building in engineering. It is also used in data analysis and machine learning to understand patterns and make predictions.