What are some career options for an Applied Math B.A. graduate?

In summary, if you have a degree in applied math or CS, you may be able to find a job in desktop support. However, the job market is very competitive, so you'll need to be skilled in computer programming and have several certifications to compete.
Kalinka35
Obviously the job market is tough for everyone right now, but I was wondering whether anyone might have some guidance for me.

I graduated in May 2010 with a B.A. in Math with an Applied concentration from a midwestern liberal arts college. My grades were pretty decent, but I got a few B+'s in there. I didn't come in with a lot of math credit and I studied abroad so I didn't end up getting to take a ton of advanced math classes that would have been interesting/helpful. I took one semester of intro level CS so I can do some very basic programming, but nothing fancy.

I think I would like statistics (since I didn't get to take advanced stat classes I'm not totally sure) or something involving data mining. I've done a bit of looking into actuarial stuff, but I've been hearing a lot about how dismal the job market is for that now.

I'm starting to get the feeling that my degree is totally worthless and I was just wondering if someone might be able to point me in the direction of career paths that haven't thought of and/or post-B.A. classes that might help to enhance my credentials.

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kalinka35 said:
Obviously the job market is tough for everyone right now, but I was wondering whether anyone might have some guidance for me.

I graduated in May 2010 with a B.A. in Math with an Applied concentration from a midwestern liberal arts college. My grades were pretty decent, but I got a few B+'s in there. I didn't come in with a lot of math credit and I studied abroad so I didn't end up getting to take a ton of advanced math classes that would have been interesting/helpful. I took one semester of intro level CS so I can do some very basic programming, but nothing fancy.

I think I would like statistics (since I didn't get to take advanced stat classes I'm not totally sure) or something involving data mining. I've done a bit of looking into actuarial stuff, but I've been hearing a lot about how dismal the job market is for that now.

I'm starting to get the feeling that my degree is totally worthless and I was just wondering if someone might be able to point me in the direction of career paths that haven't thought of and/or post-B.A. classes that might help to enhance my credentials.

Thanks a lot.

Data mining and actuarial are stats-intensive courses. I'm not sure if you know this, but actuarial careers are specialized and take many years of postgraduate study to get qualified as an actuary.

Applied math has a lot of applications and if you "understand" the processes required to work in applied math, then you will be able to pick up the domain specific knowledge in little time and be able to do whatever job you have to do.

Have you looked at sites like the AMS? Also any university worth its salt should have a thorough careers advice unit, and also a careers fair.

If I were you I would ask a careers advisor and also ask if you have a careers fair, because that's a good way to get an idea not only the kinds of jobs out there, but also important specifics of the jobs.

You could get the same information here with multiple posters in different careers, but its going to be easier to talk to someone to get your information quickly and concisely.

I graduated in 2007 with the same degree and pretty much the same conclusions. There's a lot that's not open to you unless you have some more statistics or comp sci in your background. That said, you'll pretty much need any experience right now just not to have gaps in your resume. It's kind of important that people see you're willing to work, regardless of what the job may be (because a lot of jobs out there are actually pretty tedious a lot of the time).

I wound up going back to school to study CS myself and wound up getting work in the area of desktop support rather quickly. The technical vendor certifications I gained after school were somewhat critical to helping me get that first job too. I am on the microsoft certified systems engineer track and have finished 4 of 7 exams. I also have heard a lot about comp TIA A+ tech certs getting people started. You probably don't need much other than a bachelors in something and one of these certs to break into an IT type career.

On the plus side, network administration/engineering/analysts are probably going to be the job titles out there with the most opportunities in the next 10-20 years. Especially in the health care sector. There's a lot of really old systems, tons of paper and documents, and government money out there encouraging hospitals and offices to get better connected electronically. Plus, the world itself is going everything over IP (if you know what that means, you're ahead of the game). Just know that you likely won't start doing anything terribly interesting if you do land a job in IT. You'll start at the helpdesk.

Last edited:

Related to What are some career options for an Applied Math B.A. graduate?

1. What types of careers are available with a degree in Applied Math B.A.?

With a degree in Applied Math B.A., you can pursue careers in a variety of fields such as finance, data analysis, engineering, computer science, and research. Your skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical reasoning make you a valuable asset in many industries.

2. Is a degree in Applied Math B.A. only suitable for those interested in mathematics?

Not at all. A degree in Applied Math B.A. is highly versatile and can be applied to various industries and career paths. While a strong foundation in mathematics is essential, your skills can also be used in fields such as business, healthcare, and technology.

3. What are the job prospects for those with a degree in Applied Math B.A.?

The job prospects for those with a degree in Applied Math B.A. are very promising. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, careers in mathematics and statistics are projected to grow by 33% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations.

4. Can I pursue a graduate degree after completing my Applied Math B.A.?

Absolutely. Many students with a degree in Applied Math B.A. choose to pursue a graduate degree in fields such as applied mathematics, statistics, economics, or engineering. A graduate degree can open up even more career opportunities and potentially lead to higher salaries.

5. What skills will I gain from a degree in Applied Math B.A.?

A degree in Applied Math B.A. will equip you with a wide range of skills, including problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, and mathematical modeling. You will also develop strong computer skills and proficiency in programming languages such as R and Python, which are highly sought after in many industries.