What are single electron orbitals?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of single-electron orbitals and their definition. The person is unsure of what constitutes a single-electron orbital and has done research but remains unclear. They also question if the 1s2 2s2 orbitals could be considered as single-electron orbitals due to the same state with different spin.
dergu
1. "i.e an electron is removed from one of the single electron orbitals into the vacuum."

I know what orbitals are but I don't know what constitutes single-electron orbitals. I first assumed it was simply an orbital which in a given configuration only had one electron but that had to be ruled out as the atom in question is a noble gas. I did a Course literature and Google search but I stand no wiser than before.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it maybe referring to the 1s2 2s2 orbitals as the two electrons have the same state with the exception of spin? If a mod feels this should be in advanced physics feel free to move :)

Related to What are single electron orbitals?

1. What are single electron orbitals?

Single electron orbitals refer to the regions of space around an atom where an electron is most likely to be found. These orbitals are described by quantum mechanics and can have various shapes and orientations.

2. How are single electron orbitals different from atomic orbitals?

Single electron orbitals are a specific type of atomic orbital that only contains one electron. Atomic orbitals, on the other hand, can hold up to two electrons and may have different shapes and orientations.

3. How are single electron orbitals related to the electronic structure of an atom?

The electronic structure of an atom is determined by the arrangement and number of electrons in its orbitals. Single electron orbitals play a crucial role in this structure as they dictate the behavior and properties of the atom.

4. Can single electron orbitals overlap?

Yes, single electron orbitals can overlap with each other, resulting in the formation of molecular orbitals. This allows for the bonding and sharing of electrons between atoms in a molecule.

5. How do single electron orbitals contribute to the periodic table?

The periodic table is organized based on the electronic configuration of atoms, which is determined by the arrangement of electrons in their orbitals. Single electron orbitals help to explain the trends and patterns observed in the periodic table, such as the periodicity of elements.