What are good insulation materials?

In summary, it takes 540 watts to heat oil from -40 degrees to 70 degrees using a tank with an operating volume of 540mL and oil density of 1kg/L.
ssolitare
Types of metals, plastics and others like fiber glass.

Also I have another question.

How do I calculate how long it takes to heat liquid up with different amounts of energy.

Say from -40c, how long does it take to heat oil to 71c with a 120volts. This is bare bones, but I just want to know what I'd be looking at.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Fiber glass is an excellent overall insulation for pipes, heat exchangers, and so on. It has a low thermal conductivity, easy to form, and relatively inexpensive.

If you need something more solid and strong, calcium silicate is a good choice.

If you have a constant heat input into a tank, apply this 1st law of thermo:

Qnet = mass X cp X (T-final - T-initial) / time

Qnet = power input - heat loss through insulation. Other variables self explanatory.

Solve for time.

You will need to convert your heater voltage into power (e.g. watt) units.

Hmm so I feel like I'm missing something.

I'll just make something up.

540w source.
0 Heat loss through storage:
Initial temperature of oil: -40
Final temp: 70 degrees

Qnet = Made up
Time = Made up

Qnet is in what units or, what is it exactly? Where do I make up a qnet number so that I can find time? I see how to get it when I do have time or how to get time when I do have qnet.

Last edited:
For the sample numbers you listed:

Qnet = 540 watts - 0 watts = 540 watts.

Next, you need the mass of oil in the tank. You can figure this out from the operating (or design) volume of your tank and the density of the oil:

mass = density X Volume.

Now solve the equation I listed above for time. Note that T-final = 70 degrees and T-initial = -40 degrees. Check if you are working in Fahrenheit or Celsius. It makes a difference.

This will be the time required to heat your oil bath from -40 degrees to 70 degrees.

Try it, and see what you get.

Thanks for the information... quite helpful! :)

Related to What are good insulation materials?

What are good insulation materials?

Good insulation materials are materials that are able to effectively trap and slow down the transfer of heat. They are commonly used in buildings and homes to regulate temperature and save on energy costs.

What are the most commonly used types of insulation materials?

The most commonly used types of insulation materials include fiberglass, cellulose, foam, and mineral wool. Each of these materials has different properties and benefits, so it is important to choose the right one for your specific needs.

What factors should be considered when choosing insulation materials?

When choosing insulation materials, it is important to consider factors such as the R-value (a measure of the material's ability to resist heat flow), the material's cost and availability, its fire safety rating, and its ability to resist moisture and mold growth.

Which insulation material is the most environmentally friendly?

There is no clear answer to this question, as different insulation materials have different environmental impacts. Some materials, such as cellulose, are made from recycled materials and have a low carbon footprint. Others, like foam, may have a higher initial environmental impact but can greatly reduce energy usage and carbon emissions in the long run.

Are there any health concerns associated with insulation materials?

Some insulation materials, such as fiberglass and spray foam, may pose respiratory health risks if not installed properly. It is important to follow safety guidelines and wear protective gear when handling and installing any insulation material. Additionally, some materials may contain chemicals or additives that could be harmful, so it is important to research and choose materials that have low toxicity levels.