What Are Embedded Axis Frames in Euler Equations?

In summary, it can be difficult to use Euler's equations to accurately describe motion because they are expressed in an embedded axis frame. After solving the equations, one must return to a normal frame in order to accurately describe the motion.
commutator
my book says that it is actually difficult to get the true motion of a body by using these equations because it says that euler equations are written in embedded axis frame ...
what is an embedded axis frame?where is it different from normal frames that i used in before?after solving euler equations, how do i return to the normal frame??
any help will be highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
In theory, it's not all that difficult: "The polhode rolls without slipping on the herpolhode lying in the invariable plane."

Euler's equations are a simplification of the general equations of motion for a rigid body:

[tex]\boldsymbol I\frac{d\boldsymbol{\omega}}{dt} = \boldsymbol{\tau}_{\text{ext}} - \boldsymbol{\omega}\times(\boldsymbol I\boldsymbol{\omega})[/tex]

Euler's equations result when the frame in which the moment of inertia tensor I is expressed makes than tensor diagonal (i.e., when the body axes are the principal axes of the rigid body).

In practice, finding those principal axes is rather difficult. One can define an orthogonal set of axes for a rigid body, but those (somewhat arbitrarily defined) axes typically are not the principal axes. The inertia tensor expressed in these body axis coordinates will have non-zero off-diagonal terms. Measuring the moments of inertia is a bit challenging; getting more than three or four places of accuracy is rather tough. Measuring the products of inertia is more than challenging. For some big, bulky objects it just cannot be done. Even when it can the accuracy is quite low. This low accuracy makes it rather difficult to accurately predict the behavior over any length of time. The motion essentially becomes chaotic.

thanks..:)
i think u are referrring to the principal axis that makes inertia tensor diagonal, but i am still in the dark about what an " embedded axis frame is" and its specialities..
am i missing something here?
thanks again.

Without context, it's a bit hard to answer your question. What text? What education level (high school physics, freshman, undergrad classical mechanics)?

I suppose "embedded axes" refers to axes fixed with respect to the body (in contrast to axes fixed with respect to the laboratory).

hi commutator! :smile:
commutator said:
my book says that it is actually difficult to get the true motion of a body by using these equations because it says that euler equations are written in embedded axis frame ...
what is an embedded axis frame?where is it different from normal frames that i used in before?

Euler's equations are valid only in a frame of reference fixed in the body along three (perpendicular) principal axes, and therefore rotating with it.

They are valid only if the origin of the axes is at the centre of mass, or at the centre of rotation.

(And the advantage of Euler's equations over the fixed-frame equations is that the moment of inertia tensor is changing in the latter, but not in the former, so you don't have to bother with its derivative.)

See the PF Library on Euler's equations for an extended explanation. :wink:
… after solving euler equations, how do i return to the normal frame??

I don't know of any general method, but in particular examples, it's usually fairly obvious …

did you have an example in mind?​

Related to What Are Embedded Axis Frames in Euler Equations?

1. What are the Euler equations in rotations and what do they describe?

The Euler equations in rotations are a set of three differential equations that describe the motion of a rigid body in three-dimensional space. They are named after the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler, who first derived them in the 18th century.

2. What is the significance of the Euler equations in rotations?

The Euler equations in rotations are significant because they provide a mathematical framework for understanding the dynamics of rotational motion. They are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and mechanics, to model the behavior of objects that rotate in space.

3. How are the Euler equations in rotations derived?

The Euler equations in rotations are derived from Newton's laws of motion and the conservation of angular momentum. They can also be derived using the principles of calculus and differential equations, as well as the concept of rotational kinematics.

4. Can the Euler equations in rotations be applied to non-rigid bodies?

No, the Euler equations in rotations are specifically designed for rigid bodies, which are objects that maintain their shape and size regardless of external forces acting upon them. For non-rigid bodies, more complex equations are needed to accurately describe their motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Euler equations in rotations?

The Euler equations in rotations have many practical applications, such as in aerospace engineering for designing and controlling aircraft and spacecraft, in robotics for programming the movements of robotic arms, and in video game development for creating realistic animations of objects in motion.