What are DC blocks and how do they filter out AC?

In summary, filtering out AC and DC involves the use of capacitors in circuits. AC filtering is used in rectifiers to convert AC to DC, while DC filtering is used to isolate stages and set DC conditions in amplifiers. DC blocks use capacitors to filter out AC by acting as an open circuit, while coupling capacitors allow AC signals to pass while blocking DC signals by acting as a short circuit. Pictures and further explanations are available online for these concepts.
jeff1evesque
Could someone explain to me the meaning of the following concepts:

1. Filtering out AC: is used to reduce the ripple of a DC power supply.
2. Filtering out DC: Only time-varying signal will pass through a capacitor. The circuit on either side of the capacitor can be at different DC voltages.
3. And if one could help explain low and high pass filters, that would help a lot- since I have no prior knowledge in circuits.thanks,JL

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Jeff,

The first concept comes into play in devices known as rectifiers. These are used to convert AC to DC and they employ diodes. Diodes are "directional current valves" and only allow the current to flow one way. As you will recall the AC that comes out of the wall is a sine wave and has a series of positive and negative "humps". The rectifier will output a voltage waveform consisting of the positive "humps" of the AC signal. You can see pictures of the output at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectifier.

You see those parts where it goes back down to zero? Well this is where the capacitor comes in. The capacitor will charge on the upwards swing and then begin discharging. The voltage across a capacitor is related to how much charge is on it so with a right sized capacitor and a small enough time you can basically hold the voltage closer to the desired output.

As for the second concept do you remember Z = 1/(jwc)? DC is at 0 frequency and this makes the impedance almost infinite. This let's us use capacitors as DC blocks. I've commonly used them in this way when I'm designing amplifiers to isolate the stages from one another since you can pass an AC signal (music) through all of the stages while setting the DC conditions in each stage to whatever I want.

Now for the filters. An ideal low pass filter will pass frequencies below the cut off frequency while completely blocking every part of the signal that is above that frequency. Vice versa for the high pass filter. As an example look at this filter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1st_Order_Lowpass_Filter_RC.svg. For DC (0 Hz) the capacitor has infinite impedance so it basically behaves like an open circuit and my input voltage and output voltage are the same. Now say I progressively increase the frequency of my input voltage. The impedance of the capacitor will start to go down until it eventually looks like I have a short circuit. Basically what I have just done is allow lower frequencies through and attenuate higher frequencies.

I suggest you practice thinking one through by swapping the positions of the capacitor and resistor. You should be able to think it through in a similar way and see that creates a high pass filter. Hope that helps!

Concorde said:
This let's us use capacitors as DC blocks.
What are DC blocks? How are DC blocks filtering out the AC? Are there pictures of this also?

And for the second concept, why wouldn't the current just skip the capacitor that adjoins the top wire with the bottom; similarly for the opposite case, where current would skip the resistor that adjoins the top and bottom wire?

jeff1evesque said:
What are DC blocks? How are DC blocks filtering out the AC? Are there pictures of this also?

And for the second concept, why wouldn't the current just skip the capacitor that adjoins the top wire with the bottom; similarly for the opposite case, where current would skip the resistor that adjoins the top and bottom wire?

Think of a capacitor as being a short circuit at high frequencies, and an open circuit at DC (this is ONLY an idealization).

When the capacitor goes between a wire and ground, you can see (with these idealizations) that high frequency signals will short out to ground, DC will be unaffected. So it acts to filter out noise on the line (hence calling it a filter capacitor, it's also often referred to as a bypass, or decoupling capacitor). For more:
http://www.seattlerobotics.org/Encoder/jun97/basics.html

When the capacitor goes in series, you can see that AC frequencies will pass, but DC will be blocked (because it looks like an open circuit). Hence the reason it's called a DC block (it's also referred to as a coupling capacitor because it couples the--usually AC--signal from one part of the circuit to another). For more:
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/capacit.htm#coupling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitive_coupling

Related to What are DC blocks and how do they filter out AC?

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, and when a voltage is applied, the plates become charged, with one plate positively charged and the other negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, which can store energy.

2. How can capacitors be used to filter signals?

Capacitors can be used to filter signals by blocking certain frequencies while allowing others to pass through. This is because the capacitor's impedance, or resistance to the flow of electrical current, changes with frequency. High frequencies encounter less resistance and are allowed to pass through, while low frequencies encounter more resistance and are blocked. This property makes capacitors useful in smoothing out or removing unwanted noise from electronic signals.

3. What are the different types of capacitors?

There are several types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and variable capacitors. Ceramic capacitors are small, inexpensive, and commonly used for filtering signals. Electrolytic capacitors have a higher capacitance but are also larger and more expensive. Film capacitors have a wide range of capacitance values and are often used in high-frequency applications. Variable capacitors have a variable capacitance and are used for tuning circuits.

4. How do you choose the right capacitor for a specific application?

The right capacitor for a specific application depends on several factors, including the required capacitance, voltage rating, and frequency range. It is important to select a capacitor with a capacitance value that is appropriate for the circuit, and with a voltage rating that can handle the maximum voltage in the circuit. The frequency range of the circuit will also determine the type of capacitor that is most suitable.

5. What are some common issues with capacitors and how can they be avoided?

Some common issues with capacitors include leakage, dielectric breakdown, and aging. Leakage occurs when the insulating material between the plates breaks down, leading to a loss of charge. Dielectric breakdown can occur when the voltage across the capacitor exceeds its maximum rating, causing permanent damage. Capacitors can also experience aging, where their capacitance decreases over time due to changes in the insulating material. These issues can be avoided by using capacitors with appropriate ratings and storing them in suitable conditions, such as at the correct temperature and humidity levels.