What are Cosets? - Understanding & Solving Problems

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosets
In summary, the left cosets of {1, 11} in U(30) are H, 7H, 13H, and 19H. These cosets are obtained by multiplying each element of U(30) by H and taking the remainder when divided by 30. The four distinct cosets are obtained by removing redundant sets from the list of eight cosets.
semidevil
so I'm solving problems that tell me to find the left cosets, but I don't really know what they are.

by defn, let G be a group and H a subgp of G.. and let a be an element of G. the set ah for any h in H, denoted by aH is the left coset.

I mean, what does that mean. so for an example problem. find the left cosets of {1, 11} in U(30). So U(30) has order 8, with elements 1 7 11 13 17 19 23 29. By formula, order of G/H equalis the number of left cosets. so 8/2 = 4. meaning we have 4 left cosets. and the book says the cosets are H 7H 13H and 19H.

so exactly why? what are those numbers? how did they derive that?

at first, I thought you just take each element and multiply by H, , so aH = 1H, 3H, 7H...29H,but I guess I was way off.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
semidevil said:
at first, I thought you just take each element and multiply by H, , so aH = 1H, 3H, 7H...29H,but I guess I was way off.

I believe that is what you in fact do. But what you should find from using the multiplication table for G is that you get a second repetition of the same four cosets, i.e. you really only have four distinct cosets, not eight.

Janitor said:
I believe that is what you in fact do. But what you should find from using the multiplication table for G is that you get a second repetition of the same four cosets, i.e. you really only have four distinct cosets, not eight.

ok, so if I do the multiplication table:

1 * {1, 11} = {(1*1) (1*11)}
7 * {1, 11} = {7*1), (7*11)}
29 *{1, 11} = {29*1) (29*11)}

and that mod 30,

I get
1, 11
7, 17
11, 1
13, 23
17, 7
19, 29
23, 13
29, 19

I dotn know where the 4 distinct cosets come from

To emphasize that your eight rows of pairs are eight sets (which is what a coset is, after all), write them with brackets:

{1, 11}
{7, 17}
{11, 1}
{13, 23}
{17, 7}
{19, 29}
{23, 13}
{29, 19}

Remember that the order that you list the elements in a set doesn't matter; it's the same set. So {1, 11} is the same set as {11, 1}, and so on. So throw out four redundant sets from your list of eight, leaving you with four distinct sets. You were 99% of the way done with the problem where you left off.

Related to What are Cosets? - Understanding & Solving Problems

What are cosets?

Cosets are subsets of a group that contain all elements of the group that can be obtained by multiplying a single element of the group by a fixed element.

How do you understand cosets?

To understand cosets, it is important to have a basic understanding of group theory. Cosets are used to partition a group into smaller subsets, allowing for easier analysis and problem solving within the group.

What is the purpose of cosets?

The main purpose of cosets is to help solve problems within a group. By partitioning the group into smaller subsets, it becomes easier to analyze and manipulate the elements, making it easier to solve problems.

How do you solve problems involving cosets?

To solve problems involving cosets, one must first identify the group and the fixed element. Then, using the definition of cosets, the elements of the coset can be obtained by multiplying the fixed element by each element of the group. From there, the problem can be solved using standard techniques of group theory.

What are some common applications of cosets?

Cosets have various applications in mathematics and science, including cryptography, coding theory, and algebraic geometry. They are also used in computer science for error correction and data compression algorithms.