What Are Common Mistakes in Calculating Electron Transitions and Spectral Lines?

• Thread starter scorpa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron
In summary, the conversation discussed two questions related to electron transitions in a hypothetical hydrogen-like atom. The first question asked for the momentum of an electron in the third energy level, which was calculated incorrectly due to an error in the equation for the initial energy level. The correct answer should be 1.34 x 10^-24 kg*m/s. The second question involved finding the transition of an electron that produced a specific spectral line, but the application of Rydberg's equation was incorrect. The correct transition should be from the fifth to the second energy level.
scorpa
Hello Everyone,

I've been doing some physics homework and have gotten all but two of the questions. They are on electron transitions.

#1) In a hypothetical hyrogen like atom the energy of the second energy level is -13.6eV. Calculate the momentum of the electron in the third energy level of this atom.

En = (1/3^2)(13.6) = 1.51 ev
1.51 eV = 2.42 x 10^-19 J
Ek = (1/2)mv^2
square root of (2.42x10^-19J/(0.5 x 9.11 x 10^-31) )
v = 7.3 x 10^5 m/s
p = mv
p = (9.11x10^-31kg)(7.3x10^5m/s) = 6.7 x 10^-25 kg*m/s

The answer should be 1.34 x 10^-24 kg*m/s

I have no idea what I've done wrong

#2) A spectra line in the hydrogen bright line spectra (NOTE: visible region) passes perpendicularily through a diffraction grating (d= 5.00x10^-6m). This spectra line produces a first order maximum at an angle of 4.97 degrees. What is the transition of the elctron that produces this spectra line?

wavelength = (5.00 x 10^-6m)(sin4.97)/1 = 4.33 x 10^-7m

Using Rydberg's equation I subsituted and manipulated and got:

(1/4) - ((1/4.33x10^-7)/1.1x 10^7) then I took the square root of that and got 0.2 which definitely isn't right.

The answer should be 5 to 2. Once again I don't know where I've gone wrong.
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
scorpa said:
#1) In a hypothetical hyrogen like atom the energy of the second energy level is -13.6eV. Calculate the momentum of the electron in the third energy level of this atom.

En = (1/3^2)(13.6) = 1.51 ev
1.51 eV = 2.42 x 10^-19 J
Ek = (1/2)mv^2
square root of (2.42x10^-19J/(0.5 x 9.11 x 10^-31) )
v = 7.3 x 10^5 m/s
p = mv
p = (9.11x10^-31kg)(7.3x10^5m/s) = 6.7 x 10^-25 kg*m/s

The answer should be 1.34 x 10^-24 kg*m/s

I have no idea what I've done wrong

I will look at these one at a time.

Two things you need to look at. 1) Your equation for En is not giving you the correct result for the initial energy level that was stated to be the SECOND energy level, not the first. 2) What are you doing about the potential energy in your calculations?

scorpa said:
#2) A spectra line in the hydrogen bright line spectra (NOTE: visible region) passes perpendicularily through a diffraction grating (d= 5.00x10^-6m). This spectra line produces a first order maximum at an angle of 4.97 degrees. What is the transition of the elctron that produces this spectra line?

wavelength = (5.00 x 10^-6m)(sin4.97)/1 = 4.33 x 10^-7m

Using Rydberg's equation I subsituted and manipulated and got:

(1/4) - ((1/4.33x10^-7)/1.1x 10^7) then I took the square root of that and got 0.2 which definitely isn't right.

The answer should be 5 to 2. Once again I don't know where I've gone wrong.
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

I think your wavelength is OK, but I don't follow your application of the Rydberg. Take a look here and find a common denominator for the difference of 1/n^2 and combine fractions so that you can solve for the reciprocal of the fraction. You will have n1^2n2^2 in the denominator. You have the information to find the value of this fraction. Figure out which combination of small integer values of n give you the right ratio.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hyde.html

Related to What Are Common Mistakes in Calculating Electron Transitions and Spectral Lines?

1. What is an electron transition?

An electron transition is a process in which an electron in an atom moves from one energy level to another, either by absorbing or emitting energy in the form of a photon.

2. How do you calculate the energy of an electron transition?

The energy of an electron transition can be calculated using the formula E = hf, where E is the energy of the photon, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the photon. The frequency can be determined using the Rydberg formula, which takes into account the energy levels of the electron before and after the transition.

3. What are the different types of electron transitions?

There are two main types of electron transitions: emission and absorption. In an emission transition, an electron moves from a higher energy level to a lower one, releasing energy in the form of a photon. In an absorption transition, an electron absorbs energy from a photon and moves from a lower energy level to a higher one.

4. How do electron transitions relate to atomic spectra?

Electron transitions are responsible for the unique atomic spectra of each element. When an electron transitions between energy levels, it emits or absorbs specific wavelengths of light, which can be detected and used to identify the element.

5. Can electron transitions occur between any energy levels?

No, electron transitions can only occur between energy levels with specific energy differences. This is because electrons can only exist in certain energy levels within an atom, and can only transition between these levels by absorbing or emitting a specific amount of energy.