What am I doing wrong on this Statics Problem?

• Thread starter k_squared
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
He is trying to solve a problem that involves computing six component forces around joints. Chetan attempts to solve the problem by summing the moments about point A and B. However, his approach is incorrect because it assumes C_y is zero, which is not stated in the problem. Therefore, his solution for A_y is invalid.
k_squared

Homework Statement

I signed up for Mechanics of Materials, but it turns out my statics is very rusty. Here is the problem, we are to compute the six component forces about the joints:

twY08aU.png

Homework Equations

Force and moment equations are the name of the game.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My problem arises thusly:

I sum the moment about A. I place: C_x(.6)+(B_y).8=0. We know from the diagram that b_yu = 30. Simply solve this equation, and the result is C_x = 40. This is correct, according to the book.

Now, I go to sum the moments about B, C_x(.6)+A_y(.8)=0. This yeilds A_y =30. According to the book A_u=0. What is invalid about my approach?

Thanks a ton.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation assumes C_y is zero.

Chet

Related to What am I doing wrong on this Statics Problem?

1. What is the most common mistake students make when solving statics problems?

The most common mistake students make when solving statics problems is not accurately drawing the free-body diagram. This diagram is essential for understanding the forces acting on the object and is the foundation for solving the problem.

2. How can I ensure I am using the correct equations in my statics problem?

To ensure you are using the correct equations in your statics problem, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem statement. Pay attention to what is given and what is being asked for. Also, double check your free-body diagram and make sure all forces are properly labeled.

3. Why do my calculations keep resulting in a negative value?

If your calculations keep resulting in a negative value, it may mean that you have chosen the wrong direction for your force or moment. Check your free-body diagram and make sure all forces are correctly labeled with their direction. It may also indicate that your assumptions or equations are incorrect.

4. When do I need to account for friction in a statics problem?

You need to account for friction in a statics problem when the problem explicitly states that friction should be considered, or when the object is in contact with a surface and is at risk of slipping or sliding. In some cases, friction may not be significant and can be neglected.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on a statics problem and cannot find a solution?

If you are stuck on a statics problem and cannot find a solution, try approaching the problem from a different perspective. You can also seek help from a classmate, instructor, or tutor. It is important to not get frustrated and to keep trying different methods until you find a solution.