Wevelength of sinusoidal wave generated by oscillator

In summary: No problem, we all have to learn at some point! Just try to follow the guidelines in the future. To find the wavelength, you need to use the equation v = λf, where v is the velocity, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency. You are given the frequency (40.0 vibrations in 30.0 s), but you need to find the velocity first. To find the velocity, you can use the equation v = d/t, where d is the distance traveled (425 cm) and t is the time (10.0 s). Once you have the velocity, you can plug it into the first equation to solve for the wavelength.
Rashid101
A sinusoidal wave is traveling along a rope. The oscillator that generates the wave completes 40.0 vibrations in 30.0 s. Also, a given maximum travels 425 cm along the rope in 10.0 s. What is the wavelength?

Physics news on Phys.org

For wavelength, you need velocity and frequency.

<< complete solution deleted by berkeman >>

I hope I did this right.

Last edited by a moderator:

rss14 said:
For wavelength, you need velocity and frequency.

<< complete solution deleted by berkeman >>

I hope I did this right.

Please do not do the OP's work for him. It's okay to offer suggestions, hiints, and other tutorial advice. The the OP must do the bulk of the work.

Rashid101 said:
A sinusoidal wave is traveling along a rope. The oscillator that generates the wave completes 40.0 vibrations in 30.0 s. Also, a given maximum travels 425 cm along the rope in 10.0 s. What is the wavelength?

Welcome to the PF. What are the relevant equations for this type of question? There is a reason that we ask you to post the relevant equations when you start a homework/coursework question thread. You should try to use the Homework Help template that you are provided in starting the thread, instead of deleting it and showing no work in your post.

Please show us the relevant equations and show us your attempt at a solution. (See the Rules link at the top of the page for more information about how to post here)

Oh crap, I'm new here. I'm sorry.

Edit: I'll give him hints now, so when he sees this thread, he can proceed right away.

Wavelength depends on velocity and frequency. How would you find these values with the data given?

Related to Wevelength of sinusoidal wave generated by oscillator

1. What is the relationship between the wavelength and frequency of a sinusoidal wave?

The wavelength of a sinusoidal wave is inversely proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

2. How does an oscillator generate a sinusoidal wave?

An oscillator is a device that creates an alternating current from a direct current source. It does this by using a feedback loop that amplifies and sustains a specific frequency of oscillation, resulting in a sinusoidal wave.

3. Can the wavelength of a sinusoidal wave generated by an oscillator be adjusted?

Yes, the wavelength of a sinusoidal wave can be adjusted by changing the frequency of the oscillator. This can be done by altering the components of the feedback loop or by using external controls, such as a variable resistor.

4. What is the significance of the wavelength in sinusoidal waves?

The wavelength of a sinusoidal wave is important because it determines the distance between two consecutive points of similar amplitude and phase. It also affects the propagation speed and energy of the wave.

5. How is the wavelength of a sinusoidal wave measured?

The wavelength of a sinusoidal wave can be measured by finding the distance between two consecutive points of similar amplitude and phase, such as from crest to crest or trough to trough. It can also be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its frequency.