Weird questions about short circuit current capacity

In summary, the conversation revolved around determining the short circuit current that a piece of equipment can sustain for 3 seconds, based on its rating of 40kA for 1 second. However, without specific information about the equipment, it is difficult to determine an exact value and the conversation was purely theoretical.
khanpk
Hi friends ,

today we are just general talking with my boss. and he asked me a question . and that is,

if we have equipment that is rated short circuit current is 40kA. for 1 sec. and if we must have to use that same equipment for 3 sec time. that how much short circuit current they can sustain for 03 sec time, definitely below than 40kA. but how much with respect to time ie 3 sec. let say 10kA , 20kA , 30kA, or 39.8kA. ..

this is completely just discussion not practically by any mean please.

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
khanpk said:
Hi friends ,

today we are just general talking with my boss. and he asked me a question . and that is,

if we have equipment that is rated short circuit current is 40kA. for 1 sec. and if we must have to use that same equipment for 3 sec time. that how much short circuit current they can sustain for 03 sec time, definitely below than 40kA. but how much with respect to time ie 3 sec. let say 10kA , 20kA , 30kA, or 39.8kA. ..

this is completely just discussion not practically by any mean please.

thanks
Completely indeterminate given the information you have provided. It's going to depend on the specifics of the particular equipment.

i suspect boss is leading you to self educate on this subject

http://ep-us.mersen.com/fileadmin/catalog/Literature/Application-Guidelines/ADV-P-Application-Information-Let-Thru-Current-and-I2t.pdf

upload_2016-2-19_16-5-39.png

many devices give an I^2t rating so you can choose a breaker or fuse to protect it. Search also on "fuseology"

For something that burns, heat is developed by I2R. Lots of equipment will fail in this mode, but it's not the only failure mode.

Related to Weird questions about short circuit current capacity

1. What is short circuit current capacity?

Short circuit current capacity, also known as fault current capacity, is the maximum amount of current that a circuit or system can safely handle without causing damage or creating a hazardous situation.

2. How is short circuit current capacity calculated?

Short circuit current capacity is typically calculated by taking into account the voltage level, impedance of the circuit, and the available fault current from the power source. This calculation is necessary to ensure that the circuit can safely handle any potential short circuits.

3. What factors affect short circuit current capacity?

The main factors that affect short circuit current capacity include the size and type of conductors used in the circuit, the length of the circuit, and the type of protective devices installed. Other factors such as temperature and ambient conditions can also have an impact.

4. What happens if a circuit's short circuit current capacity is exceeded?

If a circuit's short circuit current capacity is exceeded, it can result in damage to the circuit components, overheating, and potentially a fire hazard. This is why it is important to properly calculate and design for the appropriate short circuit current capacity.

5. How can short circuit current capacity be increased?

Short circuit current capacity can be increased by using larger conductor sizes, reducing the length of the circuit, or installing protective devices such as fuses or circuit breakers with a higher interrupting rating. It is important to consult with a professional and adhere to safety standards when making any changes to a circuit's short circuit current capacity.