Weird form of entropy using grand partition function for a system

In summary, the grand particle partition function is Z=\sum_{N=0}^{\infty}z^{N}Z_{N} and the entropy is given by S=(\frac{\partial(kT \log Z)}{\partial T})_{\beta,V}=N[\frac{Tf'(T)}{f(T)}-\log z]-\log(1-zf(T)) where z=e^{\beta\mu} is the fugacity.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hey guys,

Here's the question. For a distinguishable set of particles, given that the single particle partition function is [itex]Z_{1}=f(T)[/itex] and the N-particle partition function is related to the single particle partition function by [itex]Z_{N}=(Z_{1})^{N}[/itex] find the following:

(a) The grand canonical partition function
(b) The entropy
(c) Prove that the entropy is given by
[itex]\frac{S}{k}=N[\frac{Tf'(T)}{f(T)}-\log z]-\log(1-zf(T))[/itex] where [itex]z=e^{\beta\mu}[/itex] is the fugacity.

Homework Equations

Grand particle partition function
[itex]Z=\sum_{N=0}^{\infty}z^{N}Z_{N}[/itex]

Entropy
[itex]S=(\frac{\partial(kT \log Z)}{\partial T})_{\beta,V}[/itex]
(i found this myself so it might not be 100% right)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've done everything but I am struggling with part C:

(a) [itex]Z=\frac{1}{1-zf(T)}[/itex]
(b) Using that formula I found, i get [itex]\frac{S}{k}=\frac{Tzf'(T)}{1-zf(T)}-\log (1-zf(T))[/itex]

for part (c), i don't know how I am meant to get from what I have to what's required. Basically, i don't see how

[itex]\frac{Tzf'(T)}{1-zf(T)}=N[\frac{Tf'(T)}{f(T)}-\log z][/itex]

Thats pretty much all i need help with...but if you guys need more info just let me know! thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
All of the above is correct down to (a). For the rest:
In (b) don't forget that z is a function of T when taking the derivative, you're missing a term.
In (c), to obtain the expected expression you'll need to use the summation form of Z (your first "relevant equation") when taking the derivative of logZ and see what you get... (hint: <N>= N)

OMGEEEE THANKS SO MUCH! Yea i got it now :D :D :D !

Related to Weird form of entropy using grand partition function for a system

What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic property that describes the distribution of energy in a system.

What is the grand partition function?

The grand partition function is a mathematical tool used in statistical mechanics to describe the thermodynamic properties of a system in equilibrium with a reservoir. It takes into account the number of particles, their energy levels, and the volume of the system.

How is the grand partition function used to calculate entropy?

The grand partition function is used to calculate the entropy of a system by taking the logarithm of it and then multiplying by the temperature. This gives the thermodynamic entropy of the system.

What is a weird form of entropy?

A weird form of entropy is a non-traditional or unconventional way of calculating or interpreting entropy. In this case, the use of the grand partition function to calculate entropy may be considered a weird form because it is not the most commonly used method.

Why is the grand partition function preferred for some systems?

The grand partition function is preferred for some systems because it takes into account the exchange of particles between the system and a reservoir. This is particularly useful for open systems, where particles can enter or leave the system, such as in chemical reactions or in biological systems.